Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes – Perfect Every Time!
Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes might be your new favorite way to make sweet potatoes. They’re ready in about 30 minutes (including pressure release!) and they come out silky smooth every time.
They’re more or less the only type of carbohydrate you can have besides fruit and regular potatoes, but for the most part, I prefer sweet potatoes to regular potatoes.
I had to get creative to keep from getting bored, and I also had to find quick and easy ways to prepare them so I didn’t have a reason to fall off the Whole30 wagon.
I’ll admit, I sometimes resort to the microwave to cook sweet potatoes. Stab them with a fork, wrap them in paper towel, and they’re ready in about 5 minutes. However, that method does tend to dry them out, whereas the Instant Pot will not.
This is definitely my new go-to method, and I think it’s going to be yours, too.
I have a killer recipe coming up Wednesday that uses mashed Instant Pot sweet potatoes – it’s perfect for Thanksgiving and you guys are going to love it.
Ben doesn’t even really like sweet potatoes too much, and he said they were the best he ever had! In the meantime, we’re starting with the basics, just like we did last week with how to cook delicata squash and following up with those insanely good vegetarian tacos using the squash.
Tip: Buy a good brush to scrub the outside of your potatoes. I love this one – it has soft and firm bristles and it’s dishwasher safe. I also love the way it fits in your hand.
Now you’ll know how to make perfectly velvety Instant Pot sweet potatoes, that you eat just the way they are (I like topping them with a little cinnamon and butter), or that you can dress up.
You can make stuffed sweet potatoes, or you can scoop out the filling and mash it for any assortment of fun mashes (I like to add chili powder!) or stuff like handheld sweet potato casserole, sweet potato bread pudding, or twice baked sweet potatoes.
I can’t wait to hear from you – what are you going to do with these Instant Pot sweet potatoes?
Get the Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes Recipe!
- 4-6 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 cup of water
- Steamer basket
- Scrub skin of sweet potatoes with a brush until clean. Pour water into Instant Pot. Place steamer basket (the one that comes with the Instant Pot works great) in the bottom of the Instant Pot. Place sweet potatoes on top of/inside steamer basket.
- Secure the lid and turn valve to seal.
- Use the manual mode of Instant Pot and set to pressure cook on high for 15 minutes.
- Allow pressure to “release naturally” (You do this by doing nothing after the cooking time goes off - the Instant Pot will automatically go to Warm and pressure will slowly release naturally) - takes about 10 minutes.
- Once the pressure valve lowers, remove lid and serve immediately.
- You can also store in the fridge for 3-4 days in an airtight container.
Serving size: 1/2 of 1 medium sweet potato
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 86Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 32mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 3gSugar: 7gProtein: 2g
Husband’s take: He doesn’t love them plain but he loves when I dress them up!
Changes I would make: None are necessary. If you have humongous sweet potatoes, you might need to increase cooking time slightly.
Difficulty: Ridiculously easy!