This Instant Pot Shredded Chicken is going to become a meal prepping essential! I cover four different variations, each made with only two ingredients! You’ll love this chicken on salads, tacos, burrito bowls, and in soup!
Just like the lemon salmon, this is a recipe I make almost weekly. There isn’t much to it, it’s suuuuuuper simple and once you make it once, you probably won’t even need to refer to this recipe, but it’s helpful to have a guide the first time.
However, once you master it, you’ll find yourself coming back to it again and again, especially if you’re someone that likes to meal prep.
Like I said, I make this weekly and use it for many things such as:
- burrito bowls
It’s a great thing to have ready and prepped in the fridge for busy days and evenings. Typically I make the salsa verde version because we like it the most and I find it to be the most versatile, but I’ll also cover a few other varieties that are just as delicious.
It all starts with boneless skinless chicken breasts. Can you use thighs? Of course! Once you learn how to cook chicken in a pressure cooker, you are going to find yourself constantly coming back to this method.
I cover four different variations of Instant Pot shredded chicken in this post, but it all boils down to this:
- Chicken + One Cup of Liquid (salsa, bbq sauce, broth, whatever you like)
- Instant Pot – high pressure for 10 minutes, quick release
- Shred, return to liquid, and eat! Or store in the fridge for up 5 days.
Instant Pot Shredded Chicken Variations
Instant Pot Plain Shredded Chicken
Plain and simple, it doesn’t get more versatile than this! All you need is:
- chicken broth
I’d also recommend some pepper and possibly salt too, if you’re using a reduced-sodium broth.
Instant Pot Salsa Verde Shredded Chicken
This is my go-to and also what’s shown in the photos. I love it on salads and in burrito bowls, or just topped with diced avocado if I’m in a hurry. I’ve also used it to make enchiladas verde and if I’m bored, I’ve also been known to make it into chicken noodle soup. Here’s what you need:
- salsa verde (I love Trader Joe’s)
Instant Pot Salsa Shredded Chicken
Pretty similar to above, but red. It’s a cousin of my slow cooker shredded chicken that I use for tacos. Here’s what you need:
- salsa of your choice – mild, medium, or hot
If you want to spice it up and add a little extra flavor, you could sprinkle in some homemade taco seasoning. One teaspoon will be mild, 1-2 tablespoons will give you a spicier shredded chicken.
Instant Pot BBQ Shredded Chicken
This is great on bbq chicken burrito bowls and also makes a great sandwich. It’s fun on top of baked potatoes with a sprinkle of sharp cheddar cheese. It also works fantastic for barbecue chicken pizza (<—hey guys, think it’s time I update those photos? YIKES…I’ve come a long way!).
- your favorite barbecue sauce
As a note on this one, if your favorite barbecue sauce is a really thick, sweet one, I’d recommend adding about 1/4 cup of water to prevent the sugars in the sauce from burning on the bottom of the pan. If you’re still worried about it burning, you could make the chicken plain and then stir in the bbq sauce after it’s shredded.
How Long Do You Cook Chicken Breast in a Pressure Cooker?
I find that 10 minutes (high pressure, quick release) is a pretty sweet spot for me. If they’re very small chicken breasts, it might take slightly less time (8-ish minutes), but if they’re big and/or partially frozen, you might want to give them closer to 12 minutes. I always check the temperature of the chicken breasts when they’re done cooking and if my thermometer doesn’t read 165°F, I turn the pressure cooker to saute, set the lid partially on (don’t lock it into place) and cook them for an additional 1-2 minutes until they come up to temperature.
Tips for shredding chicken in the Instant Pot:
- The most common way to shred chicken is to place it on a plate and use two forks to pull it apart.
- You can also place it in the bowl of your stand mixer and use the paddle attachment on low to shred. Don’t over-do it unless you like mushy chicken.
- My favorite way is not the safest way so alllll the disclaimers here – do this at your own risk, I assume NO responsibility for burns. I use a hand mixer with the normal beaters attached to shred this Instant Pot shredded chicken and I turn it on low right inside the Instant Pot. It does tend to splatter a bit, so be careful. This method will shred your chicken in less than one minute…which makes it my favorite. Sometimes I put a towel over the whole operation to cut down on splatters.
Can’t get enough Instant Pot Recipes? Try these:
- Instant Pot Chili with tons of variations
- Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes – they’re perfect every time!
- Healthy Chicken Piccata in the Instant Pot
- Instant Pot Boiled Eggs
- Instant Pot Low Carb Ham and Cabbage Soup from Kalyn’s Kitchen
- Instant Pot Taco Soup from Oh Sweet Basil
- Honey Sesame Chicken in the Instant Pot from Two Peas & Their Pod