This slow cooker creamy chicken and wild rice soup will be the star of your winter cuisine! Perfect for chilly days.
You guys. Fall has officially arrived.
I’m no longer rolling up my skinny jeans.
I wore a scarf.
We turned on our heat.
I got out my slippers.
I haven’t worn a real coat yet, but it won’t be long.
I’ve been using my slow cooker more than I care to admit. But actually I use that baby all year round. In the winter, it creates irresistible comfort foods. In the summer, it cooks dinner without heating up your house. Winner, winner, chicken slow cooker dinner.
About this Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
Speaking of chicken slow cooker dinners (see what I did there?), I’m excited to share another recipe with you that’s part of my partnership with Just BARE® Chicken.
This slow cooker soup really couldn’t be easier to make. You just throw all the ingredients (except the cream) into the slow cooker and let it work its magic. Six to eight hours later, you have creamy delicious soup. The rice is tender and the chicken is ready to be shredded.
All you need to do is sit and take in the great smells of this creamy chicken and wild rice soup cooking all day in your house. Perfect for football Saturdays, Sunday night dinners or busy weeknight meals when you want to come home to a hot meal already made. It’s basically the perfect soup.
I like Just BARE’s boneless skinless chicken thighs in this creamy chicken and wild rice soup because they have a lot of really great flavor – but if you’re not a dark meat fan, feel free to use boneless skinless chicken breasts in this recipe. Or try this slow cooker chicken kale soup recipe, with chicken breasts, cannellini beans, and lots of veggies.
Enjoy – and stay warm!
Boneless skinless chicken thighs are so versatile.
I love the flavor that boneless skinless chicken thighs add to soups and main dishes. Here’s a few more recipes for you:
- Chicken Barley Soup with Butternut Squash and Kale
- Slow Cooker Moroccan Chicken Thighs
- Honey Balsamic Chicken Thighs
- Chicken Burger with Bacon, Leeks and Gouda
- Barley and Greens with Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs
- Chicken Thighs Sheet Pan Dinner with Smashed Potatoes and Green Beans (Whole30 compliant)
- Slow Cooker BBQ Pulled Chicken (with cranberry sherry BBQ sauce)
- Crispy Chicken Thighs with Dijon and Dill (sheet pan dinner)
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked wild and brown rice blend (see notes)
- 1.5 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 large onion, diced (a heaping cup)
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups no salt added chicken stock
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- milk or water as necessary to thin soup
- Combine all ingredients except cream in a large slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Remove bay leaves and discard. Remove chicken thighs, shred and return to slow cooker.
- In a medium bowl, place 1/2 cup heavy cream. Slowly whisk 1-2 cups of hot soup into cream. Then, slowly pour that mixture back into the slow cooker while stirring.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed before serving.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.