How to make Butternut Squash in the Slow Cooker
Learn how to make butternut squash in the slow cooker and you might not ever use any other method! Easy and no peeling required!
Did ya know you can make butternut squash in the slow cooker, aka the CrockPot?
Well, you can.
Picture this scenario —
Throw a butternut squash in the slow cooker when you leave for work in the morning (it will literally take 2 minutes or less). Come home to a cooked squash. Scrape the flesh out, mix with a few simple ingredients and enjoy butternut squash bisque for dinner. Or use it as a healthy side dish.
Either way, it doesn’t involve PEELING THE DANG SQUASH. Which just might be one of my least favorite kitchen tasks. It’s tedious, sticky, and a bit dangerous!
So do you want to know how to make butternut squash in the slow cooker? It’s ridiculously easy.
Here are the steps:
- Wash the squash. This might not even be necessary if you aren’t type-A and crazy like me, but I’d recommend it. Always wash the outside of your fruits and vegetables, even if you don’t eat the peelings. Because when you cut into something dirty, the dirt goes inside. That’s my two cents. Anywayyyys, off my soapbox and onto step 2.
- Wrap the whole squash in foil OR line slow cooker with foil for easy clean-up.
- Put the squash in the slow cooker.
- Cook for four to six hours on low, six to eight hours on high.
That’s it!!!! Once the squash is done cooking, all you have to do is slice that baby open, remove the seeds, and scoop out the flesh.
If you’re looking for different ways to cook squash, check out this comprehensive 17+ Winter Squash Recipes and Ultimate Squash Cooking Guide. Everything you ever needed to know and more!
Wondering what to make with the cooked squash?
Gotcha covered, keep reading for some recipe ideas:
- Butternut Squash Mash with Smoked Paprika (just add the smoked paprika & other ingredients to the squash flesh after taking it out of the peel)
- Quinoa, Kale and Bacon Stuffed Butternut Squash (skip step one – use the slow cooker cooked butternut squash instead)
- Shortcut Squash Soup (sub in this squash for the frozen puree
- This would be a great way to prep butternut squash for homemade baby food!
- Butternut Squash Bread
- Stir some into your kids’ mac & cheese. They’ll never know.
Did you make this? Be sure to leave a review below and tag me @rachelcooksblog on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest!
- 1 butternut squash, washed
- Wrap whole squash in aluminum foil (or line slow cooker with foil).
- Place the squash in the slow cooker. Cook on high for 4-6 hours or low for 6-8 hours or until tender when pierced with a fork.
- Unwrap (carefully), scoop out seeds and discard. Then scoop out flesh and enjoy!
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.
Leave a Review