Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice Recipe
Once you try homemade pumpkin pie spice, you’ll likely never go back to store-bought! It’s easy to make with spices you already have in your cupboard.
Doing it at home saves money and tastes better. Also, if you’re like me, you don’t go through spices too terribly quickly, so this assures that you use what you have and that all your spices will be fresh and tasty.
So toss out your old pumpkin pie spice and pull out your cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, allspice, and cloves.
And…that’s the inside of my trash can. Nasty, but I know you’ve been dying to see it. I keep getting emails, “Show us the inside of your trash can!” (You don’t really believe that, do you?) Later today, you will also be able to see the rest of the kitchen as well as the inside of my messy fridge. It is YOUR LUCKY DAY! You better write about this momentous occasion in your journal so you can look back on it.
You can use this homemade pumpkin pie spice mixture:
- for pumpkin pie (duh)
- for pumpkin cheese cake
- as a topping for sweet potatoes,
- sprinkled in your coffee (hello pumpkin spice latte!)
- thrown in pancake or waffle batter
- stirred into your oatmeal
- for the recipe I have coming for you Friday
I finished off a jar of cinnamon while making this, so I threw my new spice mixture in that jar. Didn’t even have to wash it! Bonus! I wrote up a quick label, drew a pumpkin on it because I’m a dork (not to mention a terrible artist), and dated it.
Stay tuned, I have an amazing recipe coming for you to use this spice mix in!
Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice
Yield: 3-4 tablespoons
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 5 minutes
Once you try homemade pumpkin pie spice, you'll likely never go back to store-bought! It's easy to make with spices you already have in your cupboard. Perfect for fall baking!
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg (use store-bought ground nutmeg if you need to but I promise once you try freshly ground, you’re never going back)
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
1. Mix together all ingredients and store in airtight container.