Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice

I already make my own taco seasoning (I need to write a better post devoted it this alone), so I figured I could easily make my own pumpkin pie spice.

Doing it at home saves money and probably tastes better. Also, if you’re like me, you don’t go through spices too terribly quickly, so this assures that you use what you have and that all your spices will be fresh and tasty.

So toss out your old pumpkin pie spice and pull out your cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, allspice, and cloves.

And…that’s the inside of my trash can. Nasty, but I know you’ve been dying to see it. I keep getting emails, “Show us the inside of your trash can!” (You don’t really believe that, do you?) Later today, you will also be able to see the rest of the kitchen as well as the inside of my messy fridge. It is YOUR LUCKY DAY! You better write about this momentous occasion in your journal so you can look back on it.

You can use this spice mixture:

• for pumpkin pie (duh)
  • for pumpkin cheese cake
  • as a topping for sweet potatoes,
  • sprinkled in your coffee (hello pumpkin spice latte!)
  • thrown in pancake or waffle batter
  • stirred into your oatmeal
  • for the recipe I have coming for you Friday
Basically it gives anything the perfect little taste of fall.

Pumpkin Pie Spice
adapted and tweaked from a variety of sources

2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg (use store-bought ground nutmeg if you need to but I promise once you try freshly ground, you’re never going back.)
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon ground cloves

1. Mix together all ingredients and store in airtight container.

I finished off a jar of cinnamon while making this, so I threw my new spice mixture in that jar. Didn’t even have to wash it! Bonus! I wrote up a quick label, drew a pumpkin on it because I’m a dork (not to mention a terrible artist), and dated it.

Stay tuned, I have an amazing recipe coming for you to use this spice mix in!

Seriously amazing.

By the way, if you missed the kitchen link up there in the post, be sure to check out my Blogger Spotlight over at Taste and Tell. You’ll learn more than you ever wanted to know about me!

90 Responses to “Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice”

1. Amy @ A Stool at the Counter — October 5, 2011 at 6:31 am

Awesome! Thanks for sharing the inside of your trash can! lol…no seriously…I too am all about homemade seasoning blends. I always make my own taco seasonings too. :)

• Rachel — October 5th, 2011 @ 9:31 am

You’re welcome! See, I knew people were dying for a trash can shot ;)

2. Katherine Martinelli — October 5, 2011 at 6:40 am

Awesome! I usually make my own impromptu pumpkin pie spice blend whenever a recipe calls for one, so it’s good to have an actual recipe to follow! :-) Also I just shared your taco seasoning recipe with a friend who was fretting about not being able to find taco seasoning in Israel :-)

• Rachel — October 5th, 2011 @ 9:30 am

Awesome, thanks!

3. Miriam @ Overtime Cook — October 5, 2011 at 7:23 am

I love making my own spice mixtures! Thanks for posting this one- I was hesitant to buy pumpkin pie spice, but I have all these ingredients!

-Miriam

• Rachel — October 5th, 2011 @ 9:30 am

Yeah–It’s great in a pinch, but I don’t think I’ll ever go back now!

4. Christina @ This Woman Cooks! — October 5, 2011 at 7:43 am

Ooo yay I should do this. I’m very intrigued by what you have coming Friday…and for the pictures of the inside of your fridge!

• Rachel — October 5th, 2011 @ 9:28 am

The photos will be on Taste and Tell around two. I’ll throw up a link when her post goes lives :)

5. Lesa @Edesia's Notebook — October 5, 2011 at 8:37 am

Great post, Rachel. I like to put pumpkin pie spice on applesauce. Penzey’s sells empty spice jars for situations like this, and they’re like less than $2. I use them for taco seasoning and BBQ rub, and yeah, labels are important because my husband put taco seasoning on something we were going to barbecue this summer!

• Rachel — October 5th, 2011 @ 9:26 am

Haha, whoops! I’m thinking that might be kind of good though! What were you grilling?

• Lesa @Edesia's Notebook — October 5th, 2011 @ 10:19 am

Country-style pork strips. We did the only logical thing: grilled them, then cut them up and put them in tacos!

6. Kitchen Belleicious — October 5, 2011 at 9:11 am

what a wonderful idea. I wish I would have thought of it. I love pumpkin spice and you want to know a secret- i use it even when its the middle of summer. I just can’t get away from it! great post!

• Rachel — October 5th, 2011 @ 9:25 am

Summer use is perfectly acceptable, in fact, now I’m trying to figure out why I don’t use use it year-round!

7. Bev Weidner — October 5, 2011 at 9:24 am

What about snorting the spice? Is that accepted among human beings? No? Yes?

looks. awesome.

• Rachel — October 5th, 2011 @ 9:25 am

Let me know how that works out for you, Bev! ;)

8. Mal @ The Chic Geek — October 5, 2011 at 9:30 am

Perfect! Much nicer to make your own, and you can adjust for personal tastes too.

• Rachel — October 5th, 2011 @ 9:31 am

Exactly! I saw some with cardamom in them too, but I didn’t have any.

9. Tracey — October 5, 2011 at 10:54 am

Your little homemade wrapper for the jar is the cutest :) Next time I’m out of pumpkin pie spice I’m definitely making it from scratch.

• Rachel — October 6th, 2011 @ 10:05 am

Thanks :) Let me know how you like it! I saw some recipes with cardamom too.

10. Baker Street — October 5, 2011 at 11:05 am

Stirred into your oats sounds perfect! I should get up and toss this right away!

• Rachel — October 6th, 2011 @ 10:05 am

I think I’m going to have it on oatmeal tomorrow!

11. Cookin' Canuck — October 5, 2011 at 1:01 pm

This is so much better than the store-bought version, particularly with that freshly ground nutmeg. You’re so right about never going back to the pre-ground version once you’ve ground your own nutmeg.

• Rachel — October 6th, 2011 @ 10:04 am

Yup, there is no comparison. Fresh ground is SO much better.

12. The Elegant Eggplant — October 5, 2011 at 1:35 pm

What a great idea!! And I love your cute little label!!!

• Rachel — October 6th, 2011 @ 10:04 am

Oh boy. I’m such a bad “artist.” Thanks though!

13. claire @ the realistic nutritionist — October 5, 2011 at 4:01 pm

Being that I practically DRINK pumpkin pie spice ,I love this recipe!! I find myself using it in almost every single recipe I have!

• Rachel — October 6th, 2011 @ 10:03 am

It is good stuff, isn’t it? Now that I have this homemade mix, I want to use it even more often.

14. Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga — October 5, 2011 at 4:10 pm

Love the picture of the spices!

And saw you on Deborah’s site today :)

• Rachel — October 6th, 2011 @ 10:03 am

Thanks Averie! I still can’t believe she wanted to feature me! So fun!

15. Kristy @ Sweet Treats and More — October 5, 2011 at 4:25 pm

Ooooh love this idea of making your own pumpkin pie spice! I found you over at Taste and Tell!

• Rachel — October 6th, 2011 @ 10:03 am

Thank you! It is so tasty.

16. Madi @ Sit Down and Eat Your Peas! — October 5, 2011 at 4:56 pm

Can I just say I randomly found your blog and I loove that you made your own pumpkin pie spice? And you made the spices look like little pieces of art. Fantastic! I’m definitely a follower ;)

• Rachel — October 6th, 2011 @ 10:02 am

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Glad to be following you as well on Twitter :)

17. Bianca @ South Bay Rants n Raves — October 5, 2011 at 5:34 pm

Of course I saw this recipe AFTER buying an albeit small jar of pumpkin pie spice! I’ll use it up & keep your recipe on my file cuz I’m all about saving money. Also I can’t believe ppl asked to see your trash can!

• Rachel — October 6th, 2011 @ 10:01 am

Hehe, it was a joke. No one really wanted to see my trash can :)

18. Claire @ Claire K Creations — October 5, 2011 at 6:37 pm

This is wonderful. I haven’t been able to find pumpkin pie mix in Australia so this will be great. Now to make my own pumpkin puree…

• Rachel — October 6th, 2011 @ 10:02 am

I could be wrong, but if you can find pumpkins, I think you can probably just peel, seed, boil/steam and puree?

19. Vicki Bensinger — October 5, 2011 at 9:10 pm

Well this is definitely a handy recipe to keep on hand. Thanks for sharing it and saving all of us a few bucks at the grocery store.

• Rachel — October 6th, 2011 @ 10:07 am

Absolutely! You could also scale back the recipe if you don’t want quite as much.

20. mjskit — October 5, 2011 at 10:02 pm

I love making my own spice mixtures as well! However, I’ve never made pumpkin spice. This sounds like a keeper! Beautiful pics!

• Rachel — October 6th, 2011 @ 10:01 am

Thanks MJ!

21. Sommer@ASpicyPerspective — October 6, 2011 at 9:10 am

LOVE making homemade spice blends. I can nearly smell this!

• Rachel — October 6th, 2011 @ 10:07 am

The smell is fabulous, especially with freshly ground nutmeg!

22. Leslie Means @ Her View From Home — October 6, 2011 at 9:47 am

Hi Rachel! I just found your blog from Eat, Live Run. I also am a young mom with TWO little girls – and have stopped working full-time to focus more on my family and my true passion – writing! (I write children’s books!) Anyway, I’m excited I found you! I am always trying to find quick simple recipes for my family too. Thanks for the tips!

• Rachel — October 6th, 2011 @ 9:57 am

Thank you Leslie! How cool that your write children’s books! Our daughter LOVES to “read.” Of course, we’ve been encouraging it since the very beginning. ;) I like your blog a lot too!

• Leslie Means @ Her View From Home — October 6th, 2011 @ 10:30 am

Thanks Rachel! Yep – I have an Ella B. Bella children’s book series. It’s a lot of fun! Looking forward to keeping up with you on your blog!

23. Geni — October 6, 2011 at 10:00 am

I think this is ingenious. Love your ideas for uses as well. Oatmeal?! How terrific! Latte?! Even better! :) This definitely is going to make it into an empty spice jar. But my spice jar won’t look nearly as cute as yours. You drew a pumpkin I see. I am an anti-artist. No,I am not against artists (my husband and daughter are both artists) but I am the worst artist imaginable. Have a great Thursday!

• Rachel — October 6th, 2011 @ 10:08 am

Haha, I’m just glad that you can tell it is a pumpkin, Geni! ;) My sister got the artist skills in our family, I’m more the math/science girl.

24. Brooke @ Veggie Table — October 6, 2011 at 10:09 am

This is such a great idea! I’m like you – I don’t use spices that much so they sit in my pantry and get old and clumpy!

25. shannon — October 6, 2011 at 11:42 am

so easy, it’s a crime not to pull some together for my baking this weekend :)

• Rachel — October 6th, 2011 @ 11:44 am

Yup, I’m sending the spice police after you if you don’t bake with it this weekend. ;)

26. The Cilantropist — October 6, 2011 at 12:59 pm

I LOVE this idea!!! I saw something similar on another site, but your little labeled bottle just drew me in, so cute. :) Great photos, can’t wait to try this out.

• Rachel — October 6th, 2011 @ 8:11 pm

Seriously? You’re telling ME my photos are great–have you seen yours?!? :) You have a gorgeous blog!

27. Lisa (bakebikeblog) — October 6, 2011 at 4:49 pm

what gorgeous photos!!!

28. Ali — October 6, 2011 at 5:26 pm

What a great idea!! Perfect for holiday gifts;). I actually just posted a recipe using some of these spices, but I think the whole combo would work perfectly!

29. Erin — October 6, 2011 at 10:21 pm

I found your blog via Taste and Tell. I’m so glad I stumbled across it! I can’t wait to make some fall recipes this weekend and I’ll definitely be using this blend of spices :)

• Rachel — October 7th, 2011 @ 7:47 am

Thanks! I posted a new recipe today using the mix and it is so delicious!

30. Maris — October 7, 2011 at 1:27 pm

I just did this too but yours is so much prettier!

31. Deena @ stay at home FOODIE — November 1, 2011 at 3:00 pm

Love the idea of making your own spice blends. Eh would make great holiday gifts with a recipe attached.

32. BNE — November 4, 2011 at 3:00 pm

What a great idea. I am going to make some and give for gifts. Thanks for sharing.

33. Sam Brentnall — October 21, 2012 at 4:37 pm

Thanks for the recipie, I’ve just made this to go with my homemade pumpkin latte syrup :)

• Rachel — October 22nd, 2012 @ 8:00 am

Glad you liked it! I could go for a pumpkin spice latte right now!

34. bunny — March 12, 2013 at 12:50 pm

I have been sick and am now restricted on salt. I love the taco seasoning recipe you posted on Facebook and I have been cutting and pasting and trying to print it out but I can’t do it. Is there any way you could send it to me? I am so sick of bland food. bunnydiet@aol.com

35. Kitty — March 18, 2013 at 5:39 pm

Love your recipes!

• Rachel Gurk — March 18th, 2013 @ 8:29 pm

Thanks so much, Kitty!

36. Sondra — April 23, 2013 at 12:46 pm

Love these spice blends so far! If you can figure out how to duplicate “Club House” Country Herb salad ‘n dip mix I would be forever greatful! It’s the only dip my daughter will eat and I’m going broke buying it a packet at a time!

• Rachel Gurk — April 23rd, 2013 @ 5:16 pm

Never heard of that–I’ll look into it! I have another spice blend coming this week.

37. Ginger — May 3, 2013 at 3:01 pm

Hi from a new reader. Where did you get the glass spice jar for your pumpkin spice mix? I have been looking for some. thanks, I use this spice weekly so am glad for the recipe.

• Rachel Gurk — May 5th, 2013 @ 2:46 pm

Amazon! I think these are the ones I have.

38. barbara — August 22, 2013 at 5:43 pm

Fab!! can’t wait to make it :) love your Taco mix, and I know I will love this to.

• Rachel Gurk — August 22nd, 2013 @ 8:59 pm

Aww, thanks! They are two of my favorite recipes.

39. Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust — September 2, 2013 at 9:53 pm

LOVE this so much!!

40. Barb — September 20, 2013 at 8:40 am

Thank you for the pumpkin pie spice ingredients. I have tried to purchase it from local stores, but have been unsuccessful. Now, I will go buy some fresh nutmeg and follow your instructions!

• Rachel Gurk — September 20th, 2013 @ 8:58 am

You’re welcome! I need to refill my supply as well!

41. Julie — November 3, 2013 at 1:45 pm

Hi Rachel,
    HELP! I am making a recipe that calls for all of the ingredients in pumpkin spice (which I have) seperately. So how do I know how much pumpkin spice to use? It calls for 1 tbls cinnamon, 1/2 tsp, ginger, 1/2 tsp allspice, and 1/4 tsp cloves. Would 1 tbls b too much?

• Rachel Gurk — November 3rd, 2013 @ 1:54 pm

Hmm — what are you making? No nutmeg listed in the recipe? I’d say 1 tablespoon is a pretty safe bet! Maybe even slightly more since the spices listed in the recipe add up to 1T + 1 and 1/4tsp. Taste it before you bake it! :)

• Julie — November 3rd, 2013 @ 9:24 pm

Thanks. I made pumpkin ginger cupcakes. I used the spices called for an used the pumpkin spice for the allspice. They turned out great!
        Thanks for your help. :)

42. kate — December 20, 2013 at 2:24 pm

Love it! Especially at the end where you said you drew a pumpkin because you are a dork!

• Rachel Gurk — December 20th, 2013 @ 8:41 pm

haha I am a dork!

1. Pingback: Pumpkin Pie Dip: Naughty and Nice | Not Rachael Ray

2. Pingback: Pumpkin Seeds (Pepitas) Eight Ways | Not Rachael Ray

3. Pingback: Pumpkin Honey Whipped Butter | Not Rachael Ray

4. Pingback: Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice | Family Kitchen

5. Pingback: Pumpkin Recipes | Sweet Baby Yams

6. Pingback: Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice « Sumptuous Spoonfuls

7. Pingback: Pumpkin pie with shortbread crust – make your own pumpkin puree

8. Pingback: Pumpkin Tea Bread Recipe | Red, White & Grew™ | Pamela Price

9. Pingback: Make Your Own Pumpkin Pie Spice: 100 Days of Homemade Holiday Inspiration

10. Pingback: Homemade/DIY Gift Ideas: 18 Spices, Seasonings and Extracts | Boulder Locavore

11. Pingback: Better to Give – diy Christmas Gifts | Paper Clips and Play Pens