Once you try homemade pumpkin pie spice, you’ll likely never go back to store-bought! It’s easy to make with spices you already have in your cupboard.
Making your own seasoning mixes at home saves money and tastes better. You can customize them to your own taste. Many spice mixes have a lot of added salt or preservatives, neither of which I want in my foods.
Also, if you’re like me, you don’t use spices quickly enough, so making your own blends with what you already have in your pantry assures that all your spices will be used while they are still fresh and tasty.
So toss out your old pumpkin pie spice that’s been sitting in your pantry for 10 years and pull out your cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, allspice, and cloves.
You can use this homemade pumpkin pie spice:
- for pumpkin pie (duh)
- for pumpkin cheese cake
- as a topping for sweet potatoes
- sprinkled in your coffee (hello pumpkin spice latte!)
- added to the dry ingredients in pancake or waffle batter
- stirred into your oatmeal
Try homemade pumpkin pie spice in these recipes:
I like to recycle spice jars to put my new spice mixture in. I write up a quick label, draw a pumpkin on it because I’m a dork (not to mention a terrible artist), and date it.
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg (see note)
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1. Mix together all ingredients in a small jar or airtight container. Makes a little less than 1/4 cup.
- A note about nutmeg: use store-bought ground nutmeg if you need to but I promise once you try freshly grated, you’re never going back!
- Store at room temperature in pantry or cupboard. Keeps for two to three years if stored properly.
- Can be used for pumpkin pie, of course, but check out the post above for lots more ideas and recipes.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.