This kale salad with pomegranate is full of bright flavors and not only tastes great but is also so good for you. It is easy to make and keeps well in the fridge.
I made kale salad with pomegranate, oranges and pine nuts. It’s a perfect winter salad and won’t leave you looking for your chunky sweater to hide in. It’s filling and flavorful. And it has toasted pine nuts which I would eat by the handful if I had an unlimited budget.
Love kale salads? Try:
For the Salad
- 1 bunch kale leaves, stems and tough sections removed
- 1 cup pomegranate arils
- 2 navel oranges
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
For the Dressing
- reserved juice from the oranges, or about 1/4 cup
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cut or tear kale into bite sized pieces and place in a large zip-top bag. Cut the segments out of the oranges over a bowl to catch the juice. (If you don’t know how to do that, here is a great tutorial from Cookin’ Canuck.) Once you have the segments cut out, make sure to squeeze the remaining juice out of the membranes. Save all the juice for the dressing. Place orange segments in a large serving bowl.
- To the orange juice, add white wine vinegar, olive oil, honey, and salt and pepper to taste. Whisk with a fork or small whisk and pour into the ziptop bag with the kale. Close the bag, squeezing the air out. Massage the kale with the dressing for 1-2 minutes and then pour it into the serving bowl with the orange segments. Add pomegranate arils and toss everything together.
- Toast pine nuts in a dry frying pan over medium heat, tossing or stirring continuously until golden brown (it doesn’t take long — don’t walk away!). Remove them from the pan and put them on a plate to cool. Sprinkle toasted pine nuts over salad just prior to serving.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.