Try this baked chicken Parmesan with steamed broccoli or pasta for an easy to make weeknight dinner.
Do you love restaurant style chicken parmesan? However, maybe you don’t love the calorie count or how it makes you feel afterwards.
This baked chicken parmesan is the perfect solution. It has all the flavor without making you feel weighed down or sick. And it’s so easy to make!
The breading process is simplified by skipping the flour and egg steps, and instead dredging the chicken in buttermilk. This plays double-duty and also tenderizes the chicken.
Next, it’s dipped in a mixture of panko and seasonings, baked in the oven, and topped with sauce and cheese. Try it served with a tossed green salad with red wine vinaigrette or healthy homemade ranch dressing. Serve a loaf of Italian bread and some Italian bread dipping oil to round out the perfect meal.
What you need
The ingredients for this recipe are fairly simple. As always, scroll down for the full printable recipe and measurements.
- Chicken Breasts – This recipe calls for about 2 pounds, but you can halve or double the recipe easily. Make sure to buy boneless skinless chicken breasts. If you want to eliminate the step of cutting them and pounding them, you could buy the thin cutlets.
- Buttermilk – Buttermilk serves two purposes in this recipe, so don’t skip it. It will tenderize the chicken and will also help the breading stick to the chicken.
- Panko, Dried Herbs, and Parmesan – This combination gives the chicken crunch and flavor. If you’d like to buy Italian seasoned Panko, you can skip the dried herbs (but not the cheese or salt and pepper!). We find that it can be difficult to find Italian seasoned Panko, so we provided you with measurements for the dried herbs.
- Marinara Sauce – Go ahead and pick up your favorite pizza sauce, or make a batch of spaghetti sauce and use it to top your chicken, and then serve up a big pot of spaghetti with the chicken.
- Mozzarella Cheese – Shred your own for maximum meltiness!
How to make it
To make this baked chicken Parmesan, thinly slice two chicken breasts horizontally, like you would to butterfly them but slice all the way through. Pound them lightly between two sheets of plastic wrap so they are a uniform thickness.
Soak the chicken in buttermilk while you get the breading mixture prepared. The buttermilk tenderizes the chicken and helps the breading adhere.
Combine panko bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, herbs and seasoning for the breading.
Let the excess buttermilk drip off before dipping the chicken in the bread crumbs.
Bake the chicken on a baking rack placed on top of a sheet pan. All in the name of crunchiness. Crunchiness = goodness.
This chicken Parmesan is baked in a hot oven (450°F) and it doesn’t take long, only about 15 minutes. Smear on a little marinara sauce and sprinkle with shredded mozzarella cheese.
Return to the oven for a few minutes to melt the cheese.
I love to serve this chicken Parmesan with steamed or roasted broccoli instead of pasta for a healthier dinner but go ahead and make pasta if you prefer. It would be divine with this angel hair pasta with fresh tomato cream sauce or pasta with roasted red pepper sauce.
Store in a covered container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Reheat in an oven, air fryer, or toaster oven at 350-400ºF until heated through.
Have leftovers? Try cutting the chicken into slices, adding a little extra marinara, and putting on a sub roll for a perfect chicken parmesan submarine sandwich.
More chicken recipes
- Chicken Parmesan Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms Recipe
- Baked Chicken Parmesan and Broccoli (sheet pan dinner!)
- Healthy Chicken Nuggets with Parmesan
- Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Tenders
- Air Fryer Chicken Nuggets
- Instant Pot Honey Sriracha Chicken
- Pizza Chicken — One pan, 5 ingredients!
- 20+ EASY One Pan Chicken Recipes
- 2 large chicken breasts (about 1 lb.)
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup panko
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- ¾ cup marinara sauce (can use pizza or spaghetti sauce)
- ¾ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Lightly spray wire baking rack with nonstick cooking spray and place rack in foil-lined rimmed baking pan.
- Cut each chicken breast in half as though you were going to butterfly it, but cut all the way through to make two thin flat pieces (4 total). Pound to an even thickness (about ¼ -inch) between two pieces of plastic wrap, or in a zip-top bag, using the flat side of a meat tenderizer, a rolling pin or the heel of your hand.
- Add buttermilk to a medium bowl and place the chicken in it.
- In a shallow bowl, combine panko, Parmesan cheese, salt, basil, garlic powder, pepper, oregano, and thyme; mix to blend.
- Lift each piece of chicken out of the buttermilk, letting excess drip off, and coat it in the bread crumb mixture. Place on prepared wire rack. Repeat for remaining chicken breasts.
- Bake 15 minutes, or until chicken is golden brown. Remove from the oven, spoon marinara on top, and sprinkle evenly with mozzarella cheese.
- Continue to bake for another 3 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the chicken is cooked through (165°F on instant read thermometer).
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.