Baked Chicken Parmesan
Try this baked chicken Parmesan with steamed broccoli or pasta for an easy to make weeknight dinner.
It’s time again for the Secret Recipe Club (SRC). If you’d like to browse other recipes I’ve adapted from the SRC, check out: Apple Cider Muffins, Zucchini, Red Pepper and Carrot Pancakes, Pork Tenderloin with Roasted Grape Sauce, Asian Grilled Chicken, and Chicken Enchiladas Verde.
The recipe I chose for today is Chicken Parmesan, made just a bit healthier since it’s baked, not fried.
To make this baked chicken Parmesan, thinly slice two chicken breasts horizontally, like you would to butterfly them but slice all the way through. Pound them lightly between two sheets of plastic wrap so they are a uniform thickness.
Soak the chicken in buttermilk while you get the breading mixture prepared. The buttermilk tenderizes the chicken and helps the breading adhere.
Combine panko bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, herbs and seasoning for the breading and bake the chicken on a baking rack placed on top of a sheet pan. All in the name of crunchiness. Crunchiness = goodness.
This chicken Parmesan is baked in a hot oven (450°F) and it doesn’t take long, only about 15 minutes. Smear on a little marinara sauce and sprinkle with shredded mozzarella cheese. Return to the oven for a few minutes to melt the cheese.
I love to serve this chicken Parmesan with steamed broccoli instead of pasta for a healthier dinner but go ahead and make pasta if you prefer.
NOTE: This recipe was updated 4/14/2021.
More chicken recipes
- Chicken Parmesan Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms Recipe
- Baked Chicken Parmesan and Broccoli (Sheet Pan Dinner)
- Healthy Chicken Nuggets with Parmesan
- Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Tenders
- Air Fryer Chicken Nuggets
- Instant Pot Honey Sriracha Chicken
- Pizza Chicken — One pan, 5 ingredients!
- 20+ EASY One Pan Chicken Recipes
- 2 large chicken breasts (about 1 lb.)
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup panko
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- ¾ cup marinara sauce (can use pizza or spaghetti sauce)
- ¾ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Lightly spray wire baking rack with nonstick cooking spray and place rack in foil-lined rimmed baking pan.
- Cut each chicken breast in half as though you were going to butterfly it, but cut all the way through to make two thin flat pieces (4 total). Pound to an even thickness (about ¼ -inch) between two pieces of plastic wrap, or in a zip-top bag, using the flat side of a meat tenderizer, a rolling pin or the heel of your hand.
- Add buttermilk to a medium bowl and place the chicken in it.
- In a shallow bowl, combine panko, Parmesan cheese, salt, basil, garlic powder, pepper, oregano, and thyme; mix to blend.
- Lift each piece of chicken out of the buttermilk, letting excess drip off, and coat it in the bread crumb mixture. Place on prepared wire rack. Repeat for remaining chicken breasts.
- Bake 15 minutes, or until chicken is golden brown. Remove from the oven, spoon marinara on top, and sprinkle evenly with mozzarella cheese.
- Continue to bake for another 3 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the chicken is cooked through (165°F on instant read thermometer).
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 of 4
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 323Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 69mgSodium: 1269mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 2gSugar: 6gProtein: 30g
RachelCooks.com sometimes provides nutritional information, but these figures should be considered estimates, as they are not calculated by a registered dietitian. Please consult a medical professional for any specific nutrition, diet, or allergy advice.