Fresh tomato cream sauce with angel hair pasta is a perfect spring and summer pasta recipe. It’s easy to make and is a great side with grilled chicken or fish.
My mom calls this “pink pasta.” It’s one of my favorite ways to eat pasta and everyone that tries it loves it. It’s this irresistible combination of fresh and decadent that’s simply perfect. I love it when simple ingredients come together to shine in a recipe like this. Life doesn’t have to be complicated, recipes don’t have to be complicated. This no-fuss pasta shines in the most effortless, unassuming way. But yet it’s not rustic; it remains a classy dish perfect for any occasion. Maybe it’s the cream and butter.
Okay, it’s probably the cream and butter. That dynamic duo will easily elevate any dish, am I right?
The great part of this tomato cream sauce is the use of fresh tomatoes – they’re the perfect complement to the rich cream base of the sauce. And don’t skimp on the fresh basil. Many of my recipes are easily adapted and flexible to allow you to use different ingredients or even different amounts. This one however…don’t mess with it. Butter, onions, garlic, fresh tomatoes, heavy cream, Parmesan and basil. Just do it!
On that note, in many (most) of my recipes, I use whole wheat pasta; however, in this recipe, I recommend traditional white pasta (angel hair is best!). The tomato cream sauce is very delicate and light and won’t hold its own against the heartier flavor of whole wheat pasta.
Now I could make a meal out of this pasta with tomato cream sauce, aka pink pasta. It would also make a great side dish! Serve alongside this bruschetta grilled chicken, (a perfect match!) or this easy baked salmon with lemon and chives. Or simply grill some shrimp and put it right on top of the pasta. A crispy green salad would also be wonderful with the pasta, topped with this lemon basil vinaigrette dressing. Bonus: you can use that big bunch of basil for the pasta and the salad.
To review: Butter, onions, garlic, FRESH tomatoes, heavy cream, Parmesan, FRESH basil, and WHITE angel hair pasta. Trust me!
Looking for more unique pasta sauce recipes? Try these:
- 1/2 pound angel hair pasta
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons minced yellow onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup seeded, peeled and chopped fresh tomatoes (see note)
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon fresh basil, chopped (additional for garnish)
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat (see note about peeling tomatoes). Cook angel hair pasta as directed on package, drain.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat and saute onion and garlic until onion is translucent.
- Add cream and cook until reduced and thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and add tomatoes, Parmesan cheese, and basil and cook until sauce turns a light pink color.
- Mix in cooked pasta until evenly coated. Serve immediately, topped with additional fresh basil.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.
Husband’s take: Ben loves this tomato cream sauce so much.
Changes I would make: None are necessary!