Cheesy, comforting, and filling, zucchini rice casserole is going to become a favorite around any family table. It’s also a great use for leftover rice!
You know I love my salads as much as the next girl but sometimes you want something more cozy and comforting. Something warm and soft, like a blanket, to wrap around you when you’re having one of those days. Okay, okay, okay, I know we shouldn’t use food to comfort us, but there’s something about the magical combination of cheese and rice that does the trick.
The best part of this zucchini rice casserole, though, is that you’re still eating something nutritious. You’re not drowning those sorrows in an entire chocolate cake or even a burger and fries.
Included in this zucchini rice casserole are the obvious ingredients: zucchini and rice. Summer always leads to plentiful zucchini and this is a great use for it, as is homemade zucchini bread or pizza zucchini noodles.
I like to use brown rice not only for its nutritional value but also because it’s filling, nutty, and flavorful. To speed up the rice cooking time, make the brown rice in your Instant Pot (if you have one).
Then we get to the really good stuff — cheese! I use a mix of Parmesan and sharp cheddar to give this casserole tons of great flavor. Hold everything together with Greek yogurt, sour cream, and eggs.
Zucchini rice casserole would make a great side dish for your Thanksgiving dinner, too! Or even as a main dish for meatless Mondays!
A mix of whole wheat panko bread crumbs (these are the kind I buy) with some herbs, spices, and more Parmesan gives the casserole a crispy crust that seals the deal and makes this recipe a total winner.
More veggie casseroles!
You all know I’m a girl that loves roasted vegetables, but every once in awhile I get down with a casserole like this zucchini rice casserole. Try these recipes:
- 8 cups sliced zucchini (about 2.5 pounds)
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt (nonfat is fine)
- 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup whole wheat Panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9x13-inch pan with nonstick cooking spray. In a large pot, combine zucchini, onion, and chicken broth. Cover and bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook covered for 20 minutes or until tender. Drain liquid and partially mash with a potato masher or fork.
- Combine zucchini mixture, rice, sour cream, Greek yogurt, Cheddar cheese, 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, black pepper and eggs until ingredients are mixed together well. Spread mixture into prepared pan.
- In a small bowl, combine breadcrumbs, Italian seasoning, and remaining Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle over zucchini mixture.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown and heated through. If desired, broil briefly (watch closely!) to brown the top.
- Best served immediately.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.
Husband’s take: Ben loves this! I also brought it to a family gathering and it was a hit with everyone there.
Changes I would make: None at all are necessary! You could make this zucchini rice casserole with white rice if you don’t care for brown rice.
Difficulty: Very easy!
Disclosure: I have been compensated by Milk Means More for my time to develop this zucchini rice casserole recipe and write this post. All opinions are as always, my own. Find out more about why Milk Means More on Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Instagram and Pinterest.