Southwestern Mini Meatloaf Recipe
This fun southwestern mini meatloaf recipe will be a hit for adults and kids alike. Cute, tasty, and healthy — what more could you want in a little loaf of meat?
Can you believe it is May? I can’t. I swear, time goes faster every single year. I think it’s the kids. I blame everything on the kids.
Messy house? Kids.
Messy hair? Kids.
Running late? Kids.
Muffin top? Kids.
Stretch marks? Oh my gosh — kids.
Food on my shirt? Kids. I’m just happy I made it out of the house wearing a shirt.
I blame the good stuff on them too. A whole lot of smiles and more joy than I ever knew possible.
Also, these fun little meatloaf muffins. Kind of kid food because they are mini-sized and cute (as cute as meatloaf can be). Adult food too though — because of the great flavors of corn, black beans, green onions, barbecue sauce, and more.
A mini meatloaf is a cute little package that is perfect for kids, guests, or packing in lunches. Everyone will love them.
About this Mini Meatloaf Recipe
While this recipe isn’t meatless, it’s a good way to eat less meat. The ground chicken is mixed with black beans, corn, egg, and oats to increase the protein, fiber, and veggies. I also add lots of chopped parsley (so good for you!) and sliced green onions.
If you like, substitute ground turkey or lean ground beef. Either would work well so if you have a preference, or if something is on sale, or if it just happens to be what you have in your fridge, go for it.
It takes about 10 minutes to make the meatloaf mixture. Try not to overmix it — gentle is better with meatloaf. Use a cupcake or muffin tin to bake the meatloaf. This recipe makes 12 little meatloaves. Brush the tops with barbecue sauce or ketchup if you want.
Normally, classic meatloaf takes a good hour and a half to bake when you bake it in a loaf pan. The beauty of this mini meatloaf recipe is that these babies are ready in less than a half hour!
I serve these “meat muffins” with more barbecue sauce. They’d be great with salsa and sour cream for more of a taco take on things. In fact, they’d be good wrapped in a soft flour tortilla.
More fun food ideas
- Pizza Macaroni and Cheese Muffins
- Lamb Lettuce Wraps with Roasted Red Pepper Hummus Sauce
- Parmesan Crusted Pizza Grilled Cheese
- Mini Turkey Meatloaf Sheet Pan Dinner
- Chicken Lettuce Wraps — a restaurant copycat!
- Egg White Muffins with Sausage and Broccoli
- Southwestern Mac & Cheese Muffins
- Air Fryer Chicken Wings
- Air Fryer Chicken Nuggets
Did you make this? Be sure to leave a review below and tag me @rachelcooksblog on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest!
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 3/4 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3/4 cup barbecue sauce, divided (more if desired for garnish)
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onion (more as garnish if desired)
- 1/2 cup minced parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 egg white
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a muffin tin with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken, corn, black beans, 1/2 cup barbecue sauce, oats, green onion, parsley, oregano, salt, egg and egg white. Mix until thoroughly combined but do not overmix.
- Divide mixture evenly between each of the 12 wells in the prepared muffin tin(s). Brush tops of each mini meatloaf with remaining 1/4 cup barbecue sauce.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until temperature reaches 165°F. Rest for 10 minutes and then use a fork or a small spatula to remove from tins. Serve with extra green onions or barbecue sauce.
- Substitute ground turkey or lean ground beef.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.
Thanks for reading! As always, if you love this recipe, make sure to subscribe to my newsletter so you’ll never miss a recipe, or you can always find me on Twitter, Facebook, Google+, Pinterest, and Instagram.
Leave a Review