Whole Wheat Applesauce Bread with Walnuts – with video
Whole Wheat Applesauce Bread with Walnuts is a hearty and healthy bread – great for breakfast or snacking! The recipe makes two loaves and freezes great!
I’m partnering with California Walnuts to bring you a year of nutty and delicious walnut recipes. This post is sponsored by California Walnuts, but all opinions are my own.
When I have my act together, I’ll whip up a batch of quick bread to have ready for breakfast. Often it’s my healthy banana bread, or chocolate banana bread (also whole wheat!) if I’m feeling crazy. And then of course there’s healthier pumpkin bread if it’s fall and I’m feeling basic. The kids adore something other than pancakes or waffles for breakfast. I almost always use a recipe that makes two loaves or double the recipe if it only makes one loaf. If you’re doing the work, it’s just as easy to double down and make enough to have one in the freezer for those days when I don’t so much have my act together.
Nearly all quick breads freeze really well. I typically slice the loaf once it cools and then throw it into a freezer bag and tuck it away for a rainy day. That way when you’re ready to enjoy it, you can thaw the whole loaf or grab out a single slice. Twenty to thirty seconds in the microwave later, and you’ll be enjoying a warm slice of bread that tastes freshly baked.
This whole wheat applesauce bread is no different — it’s fantastic fresh out of the oven, and it’s also great frozen and saved for later. You’ll never know this bread is good for you from the texture. It’s ultra-moist and soft thanks to applesauce and yogurt instead of tons of oil. That same applesauce gives it a nice natural sweetness which is augmented with a bit of maple syrup (which just so happens to add a nice flavor that sugar doesn’t bring to the table!).
The bread is flecked with crunchy walnuts that add flavor, texture and heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids. Cinnamon and nutmeg complement the flavors of the applesauce and walnuts and make you feel cozy and warm. Pair this whole wheat applesauce bread with a couple fried eggs and some fruit and you have breakfast fit for a queen (or king!).
If you love this Whole Wheat Applesauce Bread, you’ll also love:
- Whole Wheat Caramel Banana Bread
- Healthy Whole Wheat Banana Bread with Coconut and Chocolate Chips
- Cranberry Walnut Oat Bread
- Maple Stout Quick Bread
- Cinnamon Raisin Walnut Bread from Brown Eyed Baker
- Chocolate Walnut Challah from Little Ferraro Kitchen
Whole Wheat Applesauce Bread with Walnuts
This Whole Wheat Applesauce Bread with Walnuts is a hearty and healthy bread – great for brunch, breakfast, or snacking!
- 3 large eggs
- 1 3/4 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped California Walnuts
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Spray two loaf pans with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, applesauce, maple syrup, yogurt, and oil. Add all dry ingredients except walnuts on top of wet ingredients. Mix the dry ingredients together gently before stirring them in the wet ingredients. Fold in California Walnuts.
- Pour evenly into prepared pans and bake for 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaves comes out clean or with a few crumbs.
- Nutrition Info calculated for 1/10th of a loaf.
Yield: 2 loaves, Serving Size: 1 slice
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 166 Calories
- Total Fat: 7g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Cholesterol: 28mg
- Sodium: 139mg
- Carbohydrates: 28g
- Fiber: 3g
- Sugar: 8g
- Protein: 5g
Verdict: Ben and I loved this hearty, nutty whole wheat applesauce bread.
Husband’s take: He loves it when I have breakfast ready for him to grab in the morning and this bread was no different.
Changes I would make: None are necessary! Raisins would be a delicious addition, though!
This Whole Wheat Applesauce Bread Recipe is sponsored by the California Walnut Board. All opinions are always my own. Thank you for supporting Rachel Cooks by reading about products and food I use and love in my own home.