White Chicken Chili
White chicken chili, gently seasoned and loaded with chicken, corn, beans, and tomatoes, is one of my most requested recipes!
People always ask me for this recipe for white chicken chili. I got the original recipe from a friend, but have made a lot of changes. We had some friends over last night, so I made it, with cream cheese brownies for dessert. Our friends brought salad and it was a delicious meal!
It’s super easy to make! I use already cooked boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced or shredded. Sauté a chopped onion in a Dutch oven, and then add everything else. Simmer for an hour, or longer if you want.
Serve with corn bread, a fresh salad, and of course, those cream cheese brownies!
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 oz salsa (I use medium)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried Mexican oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- 48 oz jar great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- one 15 oz can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- one 15.25 oz can of yellow corn, drained
- one 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes, drained
- 4 chicken breasts, poached (or baked), cubed or shredded
- four 15 oz cans of reduced sodium chicken broth (or 6 cups of homemade broth)
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Heat oil in large pot (I used a Dutch oven) over medium-high heat. Saute onion in oil until tender. Add salsa, cumin, oregano, and cayenne pepper.
- Add northern beans, black beans, corn tomatoes, chicken, and chicken broth. Mix thoroughly, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for one hour. (I’ve made this about a thousand times. You can simmer it for less time, you can simmer it longer. Shoot for an hour, but it won’t be ruined if you don’t have an hour. If you simmer longer, I would recommend adding the corn later so that it doesn’t get tough.)
- Right before serving, add cheese and stir until melted.
- Stir the cheese in for a creamier, thicker chili, or sprinkle it on top.
- Use more or less broth, to taste, for desired consistency.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 of 8
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 540Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 78mgSodium: 1567mgCarbohydrates: 55gFiber: 18gSugar: 4gProtein: 49g
RachelCooks.com sometimes provides nutritional information, but these figures should be considered estimates, as they are not calculated by a registered dietitian. Please consult a medical professional for any specific nutrition, diet, or allergy advice.
Verdict: Love this recipe. I make it all the time. I’ve had a lot of chicken chili and this one is my favorite.
Husband’s take: He also loves it. I think it might be one of his favorites.
Changes I would make: None. You can simplify if you want and leave out the corn, black beans, and tomatoes. This does make a huge pot of chili. I like the corn because it adds a nice little crunch. Add more spices if you like it spicier.