A packet of chicken taco seasoning not only makes this easy chicken chili a breeze to make, it also lends unbelievable flavor to this recipe!
Disclosure: I’m excited to partner with Old El Paso this year to bring you fresh and flavorful recipes. Thank you for supporting Rachel Cooks by reading about brands we love and use in our own home.
White chili (aka chicken chili) is one of my family’s favorite recipes. I have a go-to recipe that I almost always use, but I love to switch it up every so often. And when I do, I go to a simple, approachable recipe like this easy chicken chili.
What you need to make this easy chili
All you really need for this recipe are five ingredients. And most of the time, those ingredients you’ll probably already have on hand, that is, if your fridge and pantry look anything like mine.
- Chicken: Boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs are perfect.
- Chicken Broth: Buy low sodium or no salt added broth.
- Green Onions: Save some for garnishing, if you like.
- Old El PasoChicken Taco Seasoning: Or use my homemade taco seasoning.
- Great Northern beans: Canned beans are always in my pantry.
There are a couple twists that you can use to make this easy chicken chili even more exciting if you’re feeling up to it. You can add some green chiles to the chili, bringing our ingredient count up to six. Old El Paso Green Chiles aren’t too spicy so they add another nice layer of flavor to this chili.
The other thing you can do is go crazy with toppings. I kept it fairly simple this time by toasting up some Old El Paso Flour Tortillas that I cut into small strips. I had a hard time not eating all of these, but I managed to save some to sprinkle on top of the white chili.
I also garnished with cilantro but if you’re in the “cilantro tastes like soap” camp, you could use green onions, avocado, sour cream, or jalapeño. Whatever your heart desires!
This five ingredient chicken chili is SUCH an easy weeknight meal and it only gets better as it continues to simmer on the stove.
Looking for more easy soup recipes?
Here’s just a sampling of my easy soup recipes. Try:
- 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1.5 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, diced
- 1 package (0.85 oz) Old El Paso Chicken Taco Seasoning Mix
- 5 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cans (15 oz each) great northern beans
- 1 can (4.5 oz) Old El Paso Green Chiles, optional
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth (start with 3, add more as needed)
- Garnish: Old El Paso Flour Tortillas cut into strips (see notes)
- In a large, heavy bottomed pan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook chicken until browned, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
- Add Old El Paso Chicken Taco Seasoning Mix, continue to cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring. Add green onions and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes or until green onions are softened.
- Add beans, broth, and green chiles if desired and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook until slightly thickened and chicken is cooked through. Garnish with crispy tortilla strips (see notes), green onions, cilantro, sour cream, avocado slices, or anything else you like!
- To garnish with tortilla strips: Preheat oven to 400°F. Cut tortillas into small strips. Spray or toss with olive oil. Spread on baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes, stirring once, or until golden brown and crispy.
- Cooking option: Continue to simmer to thicken and let the flavors really meld!
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.