This quick, healthy, easy meatball soup with whole wheat orzo and vegetables will warm you on the chilliest of days without leaving you with that heavy, over-full feeling.
I’ve teamed up with al fresco® to create this easy meatball soup recipe and to chat with you a little about staying healthy. I recently rejoined the gym after our move (and taking a little too much time off) and I feel like I’m finally getting back in a groove. The kind of groove where if I go a couple days without working out, I start to feel a little crazy.
More healthy soup ideas
- Slow Cooker Green Enchilada Soup (only five ingredients in this baby!)
- Italian Sausage and White Bean Stew with Kale
- White Bean Soup with Pancetta and Kale
- Red Lentil Soup
- 20 Minute Turkey and Bean Soup (a reader favorite!)
- Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
- Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup
- Homemade Vegetable Soup Recipe
- Instant Pot Minestrone Soup Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup diced onion (one small yellow onion)
- 1 cup diced carrot (about 4 small carrots or 2 large)
- 1 cup diced celery (about 3 stalks)
- 18 ounces al fresco Caramelized Onion Chicken Meatballs (found in freezer section)
- 4 cups (packed) baby kale or spinach
- 4 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup whole wheat orzo
- Water if desired to thin (I added two cups)
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, carrots and celery and cook, stirring frequently, until starting to soften (3-4 minutes). Add meatballs and continue to saute until onions are translucent, 4-5 minutes.
- Add kale and stir until wilted, about 2 minutes.
- Add broth and increase heat to high to bring to boil. Once boiling, add orzo and cook for 9 minutes or as directed on package. Add water as necessary after pasta is cooked to thin soup to desired consistency.
- Serve immediately.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.