Easy Meatball Soup with Orzo (healthy!)
This quick, healthy, easy meatball soup with whole wheat orzo and vegetables will warm you on the chilliest of days without leaving you with that heavy, over-full feeling.
I’ve teamed up with al fresco® to create this easy meatball soup recipe and to chat with you a little about staying healthy. I recently rejoined the gym after our move (and taking a little too much time off) and I feel like I’m finally getting back in a groove. The kind of groove where if I go a couple days without working out, I start to feel a little crazy.
More healthy soup ideas
- Slow Cooker Green Enchilada Soup (only five ingredients in this baby!)
- Italian Sausage and White Bean Stew with Kale
- White Bean Soup with Pancetta and Kale
- Red Lentil Soup
- 20 Minute Turkey and Bean Soup (a reader favorite!)
- Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
- Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup
- Homemade Vegetable Soup Recipe
- Instant Pot Minestrone Soup Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup diced onion (one small yellow onion)
- 1 cup diced carrot (about 4 small carrots or 2 large)
- 1 cup diced celery (about 3 stalks)
- 18 ounces al fresco Caramelized Onion Chicken Meatballs (found in freezer section)
- 4 cups (packed) baby kale or spinach
- 4 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup whole wheat orzo
- Water if desired to thin (I added two cups)
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, carrots and celery and cook, stirring frequently, until starting to soften (3-4 minutes). Add meatballs and continue to saute until onions are translucent, 4-5 minutes.
- Add kale and stir until wilted, about 2 minutes.
- Add broth and increase heat to high to bring to boil. Once boiling, add orzo and cook for 9 minutes or as directed on package. Add water as necessary after pasta is cooked to thin soup to desired consistency.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 of 6
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 362Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 50mgSodium: 764mgCarbohydrates: 44gFiber: 8gSugar: 9gProtein: 16g
RachelCooks.com sometimes provides nutritional information, but these figures should be considered estimates, as they are not calculated by a registered dietician. Please consult a medical professional for any specific nutrition, diet, or allergy advice.