Healthy, quick, and delicious comfort food. Is there anything better? This Italian Sausage Stew with white beans, kale, and homemade croutons is dinnertime perfection!
Major comfort food alert! Bonus, it’s made in under 20 minutes. Depending on what kind of comfort I’m craving, I might not want to be slaving in the kitchen over an elaborate meal. Sometimes I do crave that kind of comfort, the comfort of spending hours in the kitchen, creating amazing food just because I want to.
But the comfort I crave most these days is the comfort of a quick, healthy, easy meal after a long, tiring day. Something that doesn’t come from a box or can but will have me out of the kitchen and relaxing with my family, stat. Something that doesn’t make a hundred pans dirty. Something warm, hearty and filling.
This recipe fits the bill in every single way.
Don’t skip the homemade croutons which are like kryptonite to me, but I think it’s just the combination of the zesty sausage (I use sweet Italian but if you like it hot, go for spicy!), the creamy white beans, chewy kale, and sweet tomatoes.
Oh, but the croutons. Don’t skip the homemade croutons. They soak up a little of the juice in this sausage stew while remaining crispy and perfect.
Is it becoming evident that I have a crouton problem?
I think our dinner plans for tonight may have just changed. Easy, good, and ready in 20 minutes!
More Soups & Stews
- Creamy Turkey Soup with Quinoa
- Slow Cooker Chicken Kale Soup
- Instant Pot Tomato Soup
- Homemade Vegetable Soup
- Instant Pot Minestrone Soup Recipe
- Kabocha Squash Soup
- Crockpot Beef Stew or Instant Pot Beef Stew or Beef Stew with beer and homemade seasoning
- Copycat Panera Squash Soup
- White Bean Soup with Kale and Pancetta
- This list of 10 soups and stews using canned tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 medium carrots, diced (about 1 cup)
- 20 ounces sweet Italian turkey sausage, casing removed
- 4 firmly-packed cups of torn kale leaves (bite-sized pieces)
- 1 can (14.5 ounce) petite diced tomatoes with their juice
- 1 can (15 ounce) great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup reduced sodium chicken broth (more if desired)
- Garnish: homemade croutons, fresh parsley, grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onions, carrots, and Italian sausage. Cook, stirring frequently and breaking up sausage, until sausage is browned and cooked through and onions are translucent. Add kale and continue to stir and cook until kale is wilted (1-2 minutes).
- Add tomatoes, beans, and broth and cook until heated through. If you desire the stew to be more soup-like, add more broth.
- Serve garnished with croutons, fresh parsley and grated Parmesan cheese.
- This stew can be served immediately or you can let it simmer awhile until you’re ready to serve it.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.