How to Roast Broccoli {best broccoli ever}

Once you learn how to roast broccoli, you’ll never go back to any other method. Easy and by far the best broccoli you’ll ever taste.

How to Roast Broccoli - once you learn, you'll never eat this vegetable any other way! Read the easy process on RachelCooks.com

“More broccoli please!”

Is this something you want to hear your toddler say? Our daughter did not want to stop eating this broccoli. I’m telling you…this is the only way we’ll ever eat broccoli from here on out. It is simply delicious. Unbelievably easy to prepare with only the bare minimal seasonings to really let the broccoli shine.

Yes, broccoli…shine. It can happen. Trust me.

All you do is toss it in extra virgin olive oil, sprinkle it with a bit of salt and pepper, and roast it in a super hot oven. And then watch it disappear.

A few tips!

• DRY DRY DRY your broccoli! The more dry it is, the crispier it will be. Crispy is what you’re going for here.
  • Cut the broccoli into small pieces. The more even they are in size, the better. Smaller broccoli = crispier broccoli in a shorter amount of time.
  • If you’ve never cooked broccoli this way, you may think it looks burnt, but once you taste it, you’ll know those “burnt” parts are the best tasting parts!

How To Roast Broccoli

Yield: 3-4 side servings

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 20 minutes

Total Time: 25 minutes

Once you learn how to roast broccoli, you'll never go back to any other method. Easy and by far the best broccoli you'll ever taste.

• 1 large bunch of broccoli (about 1/2 pound)
  • 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
  • salt and pepper to taste

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Wash broccoli and dry very thoroughly. (Don’t skip drying -- it’s important. You can even use a salad spinner if you have one, or just shake, shake, shake all the water out and then pat dry with a towel.)
  2. Cut into medium-sized spears and coat well with olive oil. Spread onto rimmed baking sheet and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
  3. Bake for 10 minutes, flip each piece over, and bake for 10 more minutes.
  4. Serve immediately.

Verdict: The whole family loves this.

Changes I would make: None are necessary but I’ve seen recipes with lemon zest and parmesan cheese which would be great!

Difficulty: So easy!

More Roasted Vegetable Goodness:

Spicy Sweet Roasted Butternut Squash
Roasted Carrots with Thyme and Nutmeg
Roasted Mushrooms with Balsamic, Thyme and Dijon
Roasted Delicata Squash
Maple Cayenne Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Peach and Roasted Vegetable Salad from Love and Olive Oil
Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Sweet Chili Sauce from Steamy Kitchen
Cheesy Roasted Cauliflower with Lemon from Inspired Taste

49 Responses to “How to Roast Broccoli {best broccoli ever}”

1. Jamie @lifelovelemons — September 20, 2013 at 6:10 am

roasted broccoli really is SO good! one of my favorite things to eat!

2. denise — September 20, 2013 at 6:17 am

sounds delish!

3. Andrea — September 20, 2013 at 7:07 am

I make mine this way all the time now and it definitely is the best way to eat broccoli! Just made some the other night! Delicious!!

4. Liz @ The Lemon Bowl — September 20, 2013 at 8:01 am

Love roasting broccoli!! Another perk of cooler weather!

5. cassie — September 20, 2013 at 8:51 am

I can’t wait to try this. I love broccoli in any form or fashion. This looks amazing!

6. Tahnycooks — September 20, 2013 at 9:09 am

I’m pretty fortunate that my whole household loves broccoli! And, this is by far our favorite way to eat it!!! This broccoli looks sooo tasty good!

7. Karly — September 20, 2013 at 9:40 am

This is my favorite way to eat broccoli, too! It’s good with a squeeze of lemon juice and a bit of Parmesan also. Unfortunately, my family prefers it steamed, so I don’t roast it too often.

8. Joanne - Inspired Taste — September 20, 2013 at 11:09 am

We absolutely love roasted broccoli, especially when the tops get a little brown. Yum! Sometimes we’ll even add a sprinkle of parmesan or cheddar on top.
    p.s. thanks so much for linking to our cauliflower recipe :)

9. Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl — September 20, 2013 at 11:12 am

Roasted broccoli is some of my favorite, especially with a bit of Parmesan on top – I can’t get enough! Yum!

10. Christina — September 20, 2013 at 11:31 am

Yes, this is the only way I like to eat broccoli too! I like to add Parmesan once it’s out of the oven. Now I really want broccoli!

11. dixya| food, pleasure, and health — September 20, 2013 at 11:38 am

I have been doing this to my cauliflower but never thought of broccoli – thanks for the idea :)

12. Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — September 20, 2013 at 12:00 pm

This is pretty much the only way I will eat broccoli. I still cant’ get my son to eat it, but hopefully that will change sometime!

13. Elizabeth — September 20, 2013 at 12:32 pm

This is the only way I make broccoli and my toddler loves it!

14. Amy @Very Culinary — September 20, 2013 at 12:53 pm

Yep! I often say to parents of picky eaters “So, your kid doesn’t like vegetables? Roast them or grill them. They’ll change their mind!”

15. Bree (Skinny Mommy) — September 20, 2013 at 3:22 pm

I pretty much roast all my vegetables-I love how caramelized they get. This version of broccoli looks terrific!

16. Terri C — September 21, 2013 at 11:41 am

I will do this for my 3 yo granddaughter that loves broccoli !

17. Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — September 21, 2013 at 9:17 pm

Broccoli is my favorite veggie and roasting is totally the way to go!

18. Sarah K. @ The Pajama Chef — September 21, 2013 at 10:33 pm

roasted broccoli is soooo amazing! i always add a little lemon zest and cracked lemon pepper. so good!

19. Jamie@Milk 'n' Cookies — September 22, 2013 at 9:56 pm

Thanks for reminding me how much I love roasted broccoli. Somehow, I forgot how easy and simple — and DELICIOUS — it is. It’s probably been years since I’ve made it, but I’ll definitely be adding this back into the weekly rotation. Thanks again for the inspiration.

• Rachel Gurk — September 23rd, 2013 @ 8:12 am

It’s perfect for the cooler weather! :) Thanks for the comment!

20. Laura @ The Rookie Cook — September 22, 2013 at 11:26 pm

Hmm, sounds good! I like steamed broccoli, but this might be a winner for the hubby. He really likes roasted (?) kale and it sounds like this is basically the same thing. Will have to try it out!

21. steph@stephsbitebybite — September 24, 2013 at 2:49 pm

Oooh, look how crunchy the tops look! I have GOT to make this!

22. Tayler — November 3, 2013 at 11:36 am

Yum! just featured these in my favorite snacks on my blog! I love broccoli.

23. Gretchen — March 25, 2014 at 2:44 pm

will this work with frozen broccoli?

• Rachel Gurk — March 25th, 2014 @ 2:55 pm

I’ve never tried it with frozen broccoli. For it to get really crispy, it has to be very dry which I’m afraid would be difficult with frozen broccoli. Let me know if you try it!

24. Tam — April 15, 2014 at 2:37 pm

Hi Rachel , what a great site you have ! You’ve obviously put a lot of thought on it ! I just wanted to introduce myself , my name is tam and I’m a dad of one beautiful baby girl and did all of her baby food myself . I only wish I had heard of your site then I’ve been so inspired by your photography I wish I could do some more purees ! 😉 . Well I’m launching a little product to make weaning easier and avoid the retched microwave ! Lillypots has gotten a great response so far and is due to launch soon . I’m hoping to temp more parents into the kitchen and especially dads ! All the best tam

25. Karen — April 24, 2014 at 5:56 pm

26. marina — May 13, 2014 at 8:48 pm

hello i cooked broccoli according to the recipe but it came out hard and dry. i think it s best to roast it in the foil paper?

• Rachel Gurk — May 14th, 2014 @ 7:34 am

Hi Marina! It’s definitely a more crispy/crunchy texture than typical steamed or boiled broccoli. We absolutely LOVE it this way and don’t eat it any other way. I’ve had a ton of great feedback on this recipe so I know others enjoy it as well. If that type of texture isn’t your thing, you could wrap it up in the foil (perhaps with a bit of water) — this would yield a texture more similar to steamed broccoli that you may be used to. Thanks for your feedback!

27. marina — May 14, 2014 at 2:56 pm

Thank you Rachel. I ll try to cook it the same way again.it may be that I should have cooked fresh broccoli as mine was a few days old. I ll use more oil as well as i only used 1 tbsp Thank you once again

28. Margiezzz — February 5, 2015 at 3:10 pm

Sooo delish! Thank you!!

29. GG Schaefer — May 1, 2015 at 10:24 pm

I have wanted to love broccoli all my life and simply couldn’t find a way to do it. I followed your recipe to the letter and it was magic -it seemed I was eating chips or other such unhealthy snacks and as I closed my eyes and did the yum-yum face, I had to remind myself it was BROCCOLI. Thank you!

• Rachel Gurk — May 3rd, 2015 @ 9:22 pm

Ahhh this comment made my day! I’m SO glad you liked the broccoli — thanks for taking the time to let me know!

30. Liz — September 21, 2015 at 12:21 pm

I bet I haven’t been drying my broccoli well enough! Thanks for the great tips!

1. Pingback: How to Roast Cauliflower - Rachel Cooks

2. Pingback: How to Roast Beets - Rachel Cooks

3. Pingback: Roasted Broccoli | A Hint of HoneyA Hint of Honey

4. Pingback: RandomLand 2: Come find your “Daily Fortune” (and see Pam in a balaclava) | pambustin

5. Pingback: How to Roast Radishes {and why you should!} - Rachel Cooks

6. Pingback: Roasted Broccoli and Sharp Cheddar Quiche Recipe {cornmeal crust} » Rachel Cooks

7. Pingback: A Year of Resolutions: March-April | Quite Frankly

8. Pingback: Friday Night (With Guests) – Zucchini Blossom Fritters, Roasted Broccoli, Aloo Gobi, Maple Mustard Salmon | Headaches Be Gone – Low Tyramine Recipes

9. Pingback: Apple and Chicken Sausage Pizza with Macaroni and Cheese Stuffed Crust - Rachel Cooks

10. Pingback: Maple Mustard Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Shallots - Rachel Cooks