How to Roast Broccoli {best broccoli ever}

by Rachel Gurk on September 20, 2013 · 31 comments

in Sides & Vegetables, Tips/Tutorials

Once you learn how to roast broccoli, you’ll never go back to any other method. Easy and by far the best broccoli you’ll ever taste.

How to Roast Broccoli | RachelCooks.com

“More broccoli please!”

Is this something you want to hear your toddler say? Our daughter did not want to stop eating this broccoli. I’m telling you…this is the only way we’ll ever eat broccoli from here on out. It is simply delicious. Unbelievably easy to prepare with only the bare minimal seasonings to really let the broccoli shine.

Yes, broccoli…shine. It can happen. Trust me.

roasted-broccoli-1-600

All you do is toss it in extra virgin olive oil, sprinkle it with a bit of salt and pepper, and roast it in a super hot oven. And then watch it disappear.

roasted-broccoli-2-600

How to Roast Broccoli {best broccoli ever}

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 20 minutes

Serving Size: 3-4 side servings

Once you learn how to roast broccoli, you'll never go back to any other method. Easy and by far the best broccoli you'll ever taste.

Ingredients

• 1 large bunch of broccoli (about 1/2 pound)
  • 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
  • salt and pepper to taste

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Wash broccoli and dry very thoroughly. (Don’t skip drying -- it’s important. You can even use a salad spinner if you have one, or just shake, shake, shake all the water out and then pat dry with a towel.)
  2. Cut into medium-sized spears and coat well with olive oil. Spread onto rimmed baking sheet and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
  3. Bake for 10 minutes, flip each piece over, and bake for 10 more minutes.
  4. Serve immediately.

Verdict: The whole family loves this.

Changes I would make: None are necessary but I’ve seen recipes with lemon zest and parmesan cheese which would be great!

Difficulty: So easy!

More Roasted Vegetable Goodness:

Spicy Sweet Roasted Butternut Squash
Roasted Carrots with Thyme and Nutmeg
Roasted Mushrooms with Balsamic, Thyme and Dijon
Roasted Delicata Squash
Maple Cayenne Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Peach and Roasted Vegetable Salad from Love and Olive Oil
Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Sweet Chili Sauce from Steamy Kitchen
Cheesy Roasted Cauliflower with Lemon from Inspired Taste

{ 26 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Jamie @lifelovelemons September 20, 2013 at 6:10 am

roasted broccoli really is SO good! one of my favorite things to eat!

2 denise September 20, 2013 at 6:17 am

sounds delish!

3 Andrea September 20, 2013 at 7:07 am

I make mine this way all the time now and it definitely is the best way to eat broccoli! Just made some the other night! Delicious!!

4 Liz @ The Lemon Bowl September 20, 2013 at 8:01 am

Love roasting broccoli!! Another perk of cooler weather!

5 cassie September 20, 2013 at 8:51 am

I can’t wait to try this. I love broccoli in any form or fashion. This looks amazing!

6 Tahnycooks September 20, 2013 at 9:09 am

I’m pretty fortunate that my whole household loves broccoli! And, this is by far our favorite way to eat it!!! This broccoli looks sooo tasty good!

7 Karly September 20, 2013 at 9:40 am

This is my favorite way to eat broccoli, too! It’s good with a squeeze of lemon juice and a bit of Parmesan also. Unfortunately, my family prefers it steamed, so I don’t roast it too often.

8 Joanne - Inspired Taste September 20, 2013 at 11:09 am

We absolutely love roasted broccoli, especially when the tops get a little brown. Yum! Sometimes we’ll even add a sprinkle of parmesan or cheddar on top.
p.s. thanks so much for linking to our cauliflower recipe :)

9 Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl September 20, 2013 at 11:12 am

Roasted broccoli is some of my favorite, especially with a bit of Parmesan on top – I can’t get enough! Yum!

10 Christina September 20, 2013 at 11:31 am

Yes, this is the only way I like to eat broccoli too! I like to add Parmesan once it’s out of the oven. Now I really want broccoli!

11 dixya| food, pleasure, and health September 20, 2013 at 11:38 am

I have been doing this to my cauliflower but never thought of broccoli – thanks for the idea :)

12 Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts September 20, 2013 at 12:00 pm

This is pretty much the only way I will eat broccoli. I still cant’ get my son to eat it, but hopefully that will change sometime!

13 Elizabeth September 20, 2013 at 12:32 pm

This is the only way I make broccoli and my toddler loves it!

14 Amy @Very Culinary September 20, 2013 at 12:53 pm

Yep! I often say to parents of picky eaters “So, your kid doesn’t like vegetables? Roast them or grill them. They’ll change their mind!”

15 Bree (Skinny Mommy) September 20, 2013 at 3:22 pm

I pretty much roast all my vegetables-I love how caramelized they get. This version of broccoli looks terrific!

16 Terri C September 21, 2013 at 11:41 am

I will do this for my 3 yo granddaughter that loves broccoli !

17 Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. September 21, 2013 at 9:17 pm

Broccoli is my favorite veggie and roasting is totally the way to go!

18 Sarah K. @ The Pajama Chef September 21, 2013 at 10:33 pm

roasted broccoli is soooo amazing! i always add a little lemon zest and cracked lemon pepper. so good!

19 Jamie@Milk 'n' Cookies September 22, 2013 at 9:56 pm

Thanks for reminding me how much I love roasted broccoli. Somehow, I forgot how easy and simple — and DELICIOUS — it is. It’s probably been years since I’ve made it, but I’ll definitely be adding this back into the weekly rotation. Thanks again for the inspiration.

20 Rachel Gurk September 23, 2013 at 8:12 am

It’s perfect for the cooler weather! :) Thanks for the comment!

21 Laura @ The Rookie Cook September 22, 2013 at 11:26 pm

Hmm, sounds good! I like steamed broccoli, but this might be a winner for the hubby. He really likes roasted (?) kale and it sounds like this is basically the same thing. Will have to try it out!

22 steph@stephsbitebybite September 24, 2013 at 2:49 pm

Oooh, look how crunchy the tops look! I have GOT to make this!

23 Tayler November 3, 2013 at 11:36 am

Yum! just featured these in my favorite snacks on my blog! I love broccoli.

24 Gretchen March 25, 2014 at 2:44 pm

will this work with frozen broccoli?

25 Rachel Gurk March 25, 2014 at 2:55 pm

I’ve never tried it with frozen broccoli. For it to get really crispy, it has to be very dry which I’m afraid would be difficult with frozen broccoli. Let me know if you try it!

26 Tam April 15, 2014 at 2:37 pm

Hi Rachel , what a great site you have ! You’ve obviously put a lot of thought on it ! I just wanted to introduce myself , my name is tam and I’m a dad of one beautiful baby girl and did all of her baby food myself . I only wish I had heard of your site then I’ve been so inspired by your photography I wish I could do some more purees ! ;) . Well I’m launching a little product to make weaning easier and avoid the retched microwave ! Lillypots has gotten a great response so far and is due to launch soon . I’m hoping to temp more parents into the kitchen and especially dads ! All the best tam

Welcome! Thanks for visiting...I would love to hear from you!

{ 5 trackbacks }