Instant Pot Mac and Cheese with Broccoli
What’s not to like about creamy Instant Pot mac and cheese with broccoli? With only five ingredients and made in one pan, you can serve delicious homemade mac and cheese in just over a half hour!
This macaroni and cheese is just short of miraculous. Imagine perfectly cooked pasta, smothered in loads of creamy Cheddar cheese sauce, and studded with tender green broccoli. Sounds really yummy, doesn’t it? Don’t you want it right now? I do.
Now imagine that you can have this macaroni and cheese on the table in just over 30 minutes. And then imagine that you’ll make it all in one pan, so there will be hardly any cleanup. See what I mean? Almost miraculous!
When you think that it takes about 15 minutes to make plain ol’ boxed mac and cheese, and compare that measly imitation of macaroni and cheese to the real thing, it doesn’t take long to come to the conclusion that the days of boxed mac and cheese may be over for your family. And don’t even get me going on canned cheddar soup (a chemical cocktail).
Bring on the real thing! Try this fast and easy Instant Pot Mac and cheese, with healthy green broccoli. You won’t look back!
(Don’t worry if you don’t care for the “green stuff”. You can omit the broccoli, or sub in something else you do like. I totally get that. I have kids, too. Or try this no frills Instant Pot mac and cheese recipe.)
About this Instant Pot broccoli mac and cheese:
Haul your Instant Pot out of the pantry and let’s get cooking! You’ll need 16 oz. (1 lb. box) of dry macaroni or another kind of pasta you like. I like cavatappi because it’s curly and cute. Hey, don’t mock me, I like cute food. Whole wheat pasta would be great, too.
Dump the pasta into the pot and add 5 cups of water and a little salt. Make sure the pasta is all submerged in the water and seal the lid. Cook on high pressure for 4 minutes. Quick release the pressure and switch the Instant Pot to the sauté function. No need to drain the pasta because the water will have been mostly absorbed.
Pour in a can of condensed milk and a bunch of broccoli florets. Simmer for six or seven minutes or until the broccoli is tender.
Add dry mustard and lots of shredded sharp Cheddar cheese and stir well. Turn the Instant Pot to the Warm setting, cover, and just let it set for a few minutes. Go ahead and set the table, or cut up fresh fruit for a refreshing side dish. Instant Pot broccoli mac and cheese is a satisfying meatless/vegetarian main dish or you could serve it as a filling side dish with chicken, salmon, or steak.
That’s really all it takes to make super fantastic mac and cheese. You will be blown away by how creamy and cheesy it is!
And 5 ingredients? One pan? Can I hear the cheers?
How to make this broccoli mac and cheese your own:
Like I mention above, feel free to leave out the broccoli or switch in something else. Here’s a few ideas to get you started:
- Replace the broccoli with another quick cooking veggie. Sugar snap peas are really good, thawed frozen peas, or even corn?
- Add cooked meat: cut-up cooked chicken, ham, bacon, chorizo, or crumbled cooked sausage are tasty choices.
- Replace the sharp cheddar with a different kind of flavorful cheese, or a mixture of cheeses.
- Use whole wheat macaroni or another pasta of your choice.
- Make a baked casserole. See the recipe below for the how-to.
Storage and Reheating Tips for Instant Pot Mac and Cheese with Broccoli
Instant Pot mac and cheese is best served immediately. If you have leftovers, they’ll keep in the fridge for up to 3 days.
To reheat, warm gently on the stove or in the microwave. Add a splash of milk if the mac and cheese seems dry.
Or reheat the leftovers as a baked casserole, adding a little cheese or breadcrumbs and/or extra shredded cheese to the top.
Mac and cheese mania!
I have more mac and cheese for you! Try:
- Easiest Ever Baked Macaroni and Cheese (with VIDEO)
- Slow Cooker Mac and Cheese
- Green Chile Mac and Cheese
- One Pan Pumpkin Macaroni and Cheese with Beer
- Copycat Panera Mac and Cheese (one pan!)
- How to Make Mac and Cheese in the Microwave
- Pizza Mac and Cheese Muffins
- Homemade Hamburger Helper (VIDEO)
- Meatlover’s Mac and Cheese by This Is Not Diet Food — sounds like a worthwhile splurge!
- Vegan Mac and Cheese by Cookie and Kate
- 1 pound (16 oz) cavatappi pasta, or pasta of your choice
- 5 cups water
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 can (12 oz) evaporated milk
- 4 cups chopped broccoli florets (about 1 head)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 3 1/2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (see notes)
- Pepper to taste
- Add pasta, water, and salt to the Instant Pot and stir, making sure that all pasta is submerged in the water.
- Secure lid of Instant Pot, making sure valve is turned to “seal.” Set on Manual high pressure for 4 minutes.
- When cooking has finished, quick release pressure (see note). When valve lowers, remove cover, switch Instant Pot to “saute” mode and stir in evaporated milk and broccoli.
- Simmer, stirring frequently for 6-7 minutes.
- Stir in mustard powder and cheese. Turn Instant Pot to “warm” and place cover on for 5 minutes. Remove cover, stir, taste and season with pepper as desired.
- Serve immediately.
- See notes if you prefer a baked casserole.
- The Instant Pot tends to sputter a little when you release the pressure. You can place a towel over the valve to prevent a mess. Just be careful when removing towel because it will be wet with very hot water.
- I prefer to grate my own cheddar cheese because it yields a smoother, velvety result. (Plus it’s cheaper!). I have used pre-grated, though, and it also works. It doesn’t stay quite as smooth as it cools, though.
- For a baked casserole: Spoon prepared mac and cheese into a greased baking dish. Bake at 350ºF for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown and a little crispy on the top. Bonus points for a little extra cheese sprinkled on top before you bake it. I have reheated mine this way and it is delicious.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 of 6
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 667Total Fat: 46gSaturated Fat: 26gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 134mgSodium: 1982mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 4gSugar: 2gProtein: 38g
RachelCooks.com sometimes provides nutritional information, but these figures should be considered estimates, as they are not calculated by a registered dietitian. Please consult a medical professional for any specific nutrition, diet, or allergy advice.
Husband’s take: No complaints from Ben about ooey, gooey, creamy mac and cheese!
Changes I would make: None at all!