Perfect for parties, this slow cooker mac and cheese recipe is creamy, flavorful, and so easy to make!
After popcorn, macaroni and cheese is one of my absolute favorite foods. I love any kind of macaroni and cheese – I’ll even eat it cold. There’s just something so irresistible about pasta coated in ooey, gooey, flavorful cheese. And it turns out the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree. My little man, N, loooooves his macaroni. E does too, but in N’s case, it’s one of the few things I can always count on him eating. That is, if it is a specific boxed macaroni and cheese brand…elbows, not spirals…
The kid is so picky. I won’t lie to you and tell you that he loved this macaroni and cheese because he didn’t. “I don’t yike it, Mommy.” And that wasn’t a typo, all L sounds are pronounced like a Y and it’s the cutest thing ever and I hope he never stops doing it. Okay, maybe it would be weird in high school, but I’ll enjoy it while it lasts. That and “airplanecopter” and calling elevators “alligators.” Anyways, he didn’t eat this mac and cheese but you can’t trust the kid because it’s delicious. Ben and I had no problems devouring it!
About this Slow Cooker Mac and Cheese
The great thing about this slow cooker mac and cheese recipe is that it’s perfect for parties where you want it to stay hot. My friend did a macaroni and cheese bar for a harvest party she threw. This recipe would be ideal for that type of event. Scoop the macaroni and cheese from the hot slow cooker and top it with any topping you desire. It’s such a fun party idea. PS: Try it with bacon on the top!
Craving more macaroni and cheese?
Don’t you worry, I have you MORE than covered! Make sure to try:
- Baked macaroni and cheese (one of the most popular recipes on Rachel Cooks!)
- Copycat Panera Bread macaroni and cheese
- Pumpkin macaroni and cheese with bacon and caramelized onions
- Copycat Easy Mac (microwave macaroni and cheese)
- Macaroni and cheese pizza
- Mac and cheese STUFFED crust pizza
- Broccoli bacon mac and cheese at Milk Means More
- Or check out my macaroni and cheese archives for even more ideas!
- 16 ounces elbow pasta (macaroni), uncooked
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¾ teaspoon ground mustard
- ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (2 cups)
- 8 ounces American cheese (from the deli), cut into small cubes
- Spray slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add milk, evaporated milk, salt, ground mustard, and pepper to slow cooker; whisk until combined. Add dry pasta, stir.
- Top with cheese and cubed butter. Don’t stir them in.
- Cover and cook on low for 1 hour; stir.
- Cover and cook 30 minutes more; stir. Cover and cook 30 minutes more. Mac and cheese should be creamy and thick.
- Switch to warm until ready to serve. Makes about 12 cups or 8 servings (1 ½ cups each).
- Recipe updated 2/2022.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.
Husband’s take: He loved this! I don’t think he even put tuna fish on top which is what he usually does with macaroni and cheese. (Eww.)
Changes I would make: None are necessary.
**Disclosure: I am thrilled to be a dairy ambassador for Milk Means More. I have been compensated by Milk Means More for my time to develop this recipe and write this post. All opinions are as always, my own. Find out more about why Milk Means More on Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Instagram and Pinterest.