Don’t settle for cranberry sauce from a can – this flavorful cinnamon apple cranberry sauce is super simple to make and can even be made a day or two in advance!
I cannot, cannot, cannot believe Thanksgiving is right around the corner. It’s a little ridiculous, really. I mean, how is that even possible? Pretty soon it’s going to be summer again and then it will be fall again and I’ll be right back to whining about summer going too quickly.
What I meant to say is that I’ll be savoring every moment. And making cranberry sauce in July so I can share recipes with you guys.
Growing up, cranberry sauce was never my favorite thing on the table at Thanksgiving. It still doesn’t trump stuffing (obviously), but now I really love its tart flavor alongside all the other rich, savory dishes. This cinnamon apple cranberry sauce is complex and is the perfect thing to spoon over roasted turkey.
About this cinnamon apple cranberry sauce
This is SO easy to make, you guys! All you do is throw everything together in a pan and cook it down until it is nice and thick. Watch out for splatters and stir often and you’re all set.
The sweetness of the apples perfectly complements the tart cranberries and the cinnamon gives that warm spiciness that goes so well with apples. If you prefer cranberry sauce with orange instead of apple, try my orange cranberry sauce with cardamom.
PS: If you’re looking for an easy Thanksgiving dinner for four, try a sheet pan Thanksgiving dinner with turkey breast, stuffing, potatoes, and asparagus all baked on one pan. You’ll love it! Or cook a turkey breast (even if it’s frozen solid, I kid you not) in your Instant Pot. Perfectly done, flavorful, and fast!
PPS: How cute is my assistant?
Looking for more Thanksgiving recipes?
These recipes would be great for Christmas dinner, too.
- 20 Slow Cooker Thanksgiving Recipes
- 5 Ingredient Maple Dijon Ham
- Crock Pot Cheesy Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Stuffing Recipe
- Two Ingredient Cranberry Salsa
- Green Bean Casserole (no canned soup!)
- Herb Roasted Turkey Breast
- Turkey Tenders with Cranberry Barbecue Dipping Sauce
- Sweet Potato Bread Pudding with Marshmallow Topping
- Scalloped Sweet Potatoes
- Brussels Sprouts Salad with Apples and Cranberries
- Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes
- Butternut Squash Mash with Smoked Paprika
- Cauliflower, Potato, and Cheddar Bake
- 5 cups fresh cranberries, rinsed
- ¾ cup apple cider (or apple juice)
- 2 cups finely diced apples (about two medium apples) (2 medium apples)
- 1 ½ cups tightly packed brown sugar (light or dark)
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- Combine all ingredients in a large pot. Sauce tends to spatter so choose a larger pan than you might think.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium low. Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring frequently, until apples and cranberries are soft and sauce is thickened.
- Cool before serving. Refrigerate in a covered container until ready to serve.
- Works best with a firmer apple like Granny Smith, Gala, or Honeycrisp. Softer apples like Macintosh don't hold their shape.
- If desired, omit allspice and substitute an additional ½ teaspoon of ground cinnamon.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.