Creamy Chicken Rice Soup
Creamy chicken rice soup is hearty and flavorful. Delicious any time of year but perfect on a chilly winter night!
This creamy chicken rice soup is so perfect for the cooler weather outside. And it really couldn’t be any easier to prepare.
I always have cooked chicken in my freezer that is perfect for recipes like this soup. Rotisserie chicken would work fine, too.
If you don’t happen to have cooked chicken, you can still make this soup. Simply poach chicken in some of the broth. When it’s done, remove the chicken from the broth, and shred it.
This chicken soup is simple with onions, carrots, and celery. You could add corn or peas, or another vegetable of your choice.
Use a package of Rice-a-Roni or Near East Long Grain and Wild Rice to make this delicious soup. You can use the seasoning packet that comes with it because it adds a nice flavor. If you like thicker soups, add an additional 1/4 to 1/3 cup of long grain white rice.
To make the soup creamy, you’ll prepare a white sauce. It’s really easy: simply melt butter, add some flour for thickening, and stir in milk. Cook and stir until the mixture comes to a boil. You’ll add that to the soup and it’s so good!
It’s delicious! I’ve made this soup many times and it’s a crowd pleaser. It’s simple, hearty, and satisfying. My mom loves to make it, too, it’s one of my dad’s favorite soups. You can make it on the stove, and keep it warm in your crockpot to serve later.
Making a meal to bring to a family? This one is perfect for new moms or to bring to a potluck soup supper.
Try it today, you won’t be disappointed!
Looking for more chicken soup recipes?
Chicken soup is good for the soul, right? And home cooked soup is a good way to show you care. Try:
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced onions
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups chicken stock or broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 package Long Grain Wild Rice Rice-a-Roni or Near East Brand (WITH seasoning packet)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 cups milk
- 4 cups cooked, shredded chicken (thighs or breasts), or more, if desired
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add carrots, celery, and onion and sauté until slightly softened and onions begin to look transparent.
- Add broth, additional 2 cups water, rice, and the seasoning packet that is included with the rice. Stir and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and simmer for at least 30 minutes (or whatever is recommended on the package of rice).
- In a separate small pan, melt butter. Stir in flour and salt and pepper. Slowly add milk, whisking to eliminate clumps. Heat and stir until mixture thickens. Stir into the soup.
- Add cooked chicken and cook over low heat until heated through (10-15 minutes).
- Add an extra 1/4 cup of long grain white rice, if desired.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 bowl
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 354Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 74mgSodium: 479mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 25g
RachelCooks.com sometimes provides nutritional information, but these figures should be considered estimates, as they are not calculated by a registered dietitian. Please consult a medical professional for any specific nutrition, diet, or allergy advice.
Disclosure: I was sent free products to review. However, all opinions expressed in this post are, as always, 100% my own. I was not compensated for this post other than the free products.