This creamy homemade blue cheese dressing is loaded with chunks of pungent blue cheese and is perfect for dipping or spooning on a salad. Blue cheese lovers, this one’s for you!
The piquant taste of blue cheese stars in this creamy dressing that is perfect with buffalo wings or on a wedge salad. Homemade blue cheese dressing is a breeze to stir up and you’ll love making it yourself.
Have you ever purchased a bottle of blue cheese dressing and been sorely disappointed by the lack of actual cheese in it? Sometimes you’re lucky to get one or two tiny little pieces on your salad. Huge disappointment! With homemade dressing, you can add as much or as little blue cheese as you like. Go ahead and load it up!
This dressing is one of those foods that people either love or hate. There’s just no in between with blue cheese. I think it may be an acquired taste which I’m still working on. So many of you have been asking me for a blue cheese dressing recipe, so here it is! I think you’re going to love it.
About this recipe
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again:
Homemade dressing is just so much better. If you haven’t tried making your own dressing yet, please give it a try. Homemade is so easy and it’s healthier (no additives!), more economical, and way fresher tasting. I’ll say the same thing for homemade croutons, once you’ve tried them, you’ll never go back to store bought.
This recipe combines sour cream and mayonnaise for a tangy, rich tasting dressing. White wine vinegar adds a sweet note but not overtly, just a hint. Fresh parsley gives the dressing lots of fresh flavor.
What’s in blue cheese dressing?
- Blue Cheese – Of course! It’s the star of the show. Crumble your own or buy pre-crumbled. We tested both with similar results.
- Sour Cream & Mayonnaise – These two ingredients provide the creamy texture of this dressing. If you’re looking for a lower-calorie version, use plain yogurt instead of sour cream. We tested it both ways and found the flavor of the sour cream to be superior, but you can definitely substitute yogurt and still have a tasty dressing.
- White Wine Vinegar – The vinegar adds a little tang. You could also use white distilled vinegar if that’s all you have, but we prefer the smoother taste of the wine wine vinegar.
- Seasonings – The blue cheese has a lot of flavor on its own but it is complemented by salt, pepper, garlic powder, and fresh parsley.
This creamy salad dressing dressing is great on most any green salad but especially a simple wedge salad, as pictured. It’s such a perfect marriage of flavors and texture, so fresh and elegant, just a wedge of crisp iceberg lettuce, drizzled with tangy dressing, and topped with crumbled bacon, juicy chopped tomatoes, and a sprinkle of fresh green parsley.
And you can’t serve buffalo wings without celery sticks and blue cheese dip, right? Or these vegetarian air fryer buffalo cauliflower bites. I like to drizzle creamy blue cheese on crockpot buffalo chicken sandwiches, too, or on pretty much any sandwich or wrap.
How to make this recipe your own
Like any dressing recipe, you can play around with the ingredients and make the dressing to your taste. That’s the beauty of homemade. Like I mentioned earlier, add as much blue cheese as you like. Omit the fresh parsley, or add dill instead, or another fresh herb of your choice. Swap out sour cream and use yogurt instead. I personally love to add lots of coarsely ground black pepper.
Homemade blue cheese dressing is best served immediately. It can get a thinner texture if you make it ahead. If you do have leftovers, store them in the fridge in a tightly covered container for 1-2 days.
More Homemade Dressing Recipes
Please say after me, “Homemade dressing is so much better.” And if you’re not in the blue cheese camp yet, I have lots more homemade dressing recipes for you! Here are a few ideas for you:
- Healthy Ranch Dressing Recipe
- Creamy Maple Dressing with Black Pepper — I love this one!
- Homemade Italian Dressing Recipe
- Sweet and Tangy Honey Mustard Vinaigrette
- Healthy Green Goddess Dressing
- Red Wine Vinaigrette Recipe
- White Wine Vinaigrette
- Homemade Thousand Island Dressing
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup crumbled blue cheese (about 3 oz.)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon coarse ground black pepper, more to taste
- Milk to thin, optional
- In a small bowl, whisk together sour cream, mayonnaise, blue cheese, parsley, vinegar, salt, garlic powder, and pepper. Taste and season as desired.
- If desired, add milk to thin dressing. Keep refrigerated.
- If you prefer a thinner dressing, add a little milk. If you prefer it as a dip, omit the milk.
- If you’d like to reduce calories slightly, use plain greek yogurt instead of sour cream.
- Store in fridge 2-3 days. Be aware that it may get slightly thinner/more runny.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.