Slow Cooker Barbecue Pulled Chicken – Cranberry Sherry BBQ Sauce
You’ll want to drink the cranberry sherry barbecue sauce that this chicken is cooked in. This slow cooker barbecue pulled chicken is irresistible!
This post is in partnership with Holland House – thank you for supporting Rachel Cooks by reading about brands I use in my own kitchen!
Everyone ready for cranberry season? I sure am. I have a bag of fresh cranberries waiting in the fridge ready for a new variety of cranberry sauce. Last year we did orange cranberry sauce with cardamom and cinnamon apple cranberry sauce. And I just know that we’ll be digging into my two ingredient cranberry salsa again this year because people couldn’t resist it.
This slow cooker barbecue pulled chicken was a total hit in our house. I put it in the slow cooker one morning and Ben’s parents ended up coming for a visit. They had it for dinner while we went on a date. Because, babysitters…and it’s been forever.
The last date we went on was chaperoning the homecoming dance (if you’re new, Ben is a high school principal). Anyone that has ever chaperoned a high school dance is well aware that this does not count as a date night.
But we certainly enjoyed this slow cooker barbecue pulled chicken for dinner the following night. And of course we snuck a taste after I photographed it. This barbecue sauce is a winner and you’ll find it’s not your standard barbecue sauce. Discover the layers of flavor in this sauce: the sweet and tangy cranberry, tomato acidity, the citrusy orange, and Holland House Sherry Cooking Wine, which adds more depth of flavor and an extra boost to this recipe.
It’s kind of hard to describe the taste of sherry cooking wine. Holland House describes it as having “a light golden color and sweet aroma. With a mild dry sherry wine flavor, it also has hints of nut and caramel.” You’ll be adding it to a variety of dishes because sherry cooking wine adds a subtle flavor that’s all its own. I love it in vinaigrettes or sprinkled on a dish of roasted vegetables.
PS: I topped these slow cooker barbecue pulled chicken sandwiches with my healthier coleslaw. Barbecued meat and coleslaw make a perfect sandwich: soft bun, chewy meat, crispy creamy coleslaw, so yummy!
Looking for more slow cooker sandwich ideas?
Here’s a few of my favorites:
- Slow Cooker Pulled Pork with Plum Bourbon Barbecue Sauce
- Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken for Tacos (so easy and great for a crowd)
- Mango Bourbon Pulled Pork
- Slow Cooker Spicy Buffalo Chicken
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 – 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cup finely diced red onion (about 1/2 large red onion)
- 1 can (14 oz) jellied cranberry sauce
- 1½ cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup Holland House Sherry Cooking Wine
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch + 3 tablespoons water
- For serving: buns and coleslaw
- Add chicken breasts and chicken thighs to the bottom of a large (6 or 7 quart) slow cooker. Add onions, cranberry sauce, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, Dijon mustard, Holland House Sherry Cooking Wine, orange juice, and brown sugar.
- Cover, and cook on high for 4 hours, or low for 8 hours.
- Remove chicken to a plate and shred using two forks. Return to slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, mix together cornstarch and water using a fork until there are no lumps. Slowly stir the cornstarch mixture into chicken and sauce until combined. Cook on high with lid slightly ajar for 20 minutes, or until sauce thickens.
- Serve on toasted bun with slaw.
- I used a combination of boneless skinless chicken breasts and thighs. You could also use all breasts or all thighs.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1 of 10
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 445Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 189mgSodium: 848mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 1gSugar: 21gProtein: 52g
Husband’s take: He couldn’t get enough of this chicken. My in-laws loved it too.
Changes I would make: None!
Disclaimer: This Slow Cooker Barbecue Pulled Chicken recipe was created in connection with my agreement as a partner with Holland House Cooking Wines. Holland House compensated me for the time required to create this recipe and share it with you. All opinions are always my own. Thank you for supporting my blog by reading about brands I use and love in my own home.