Mango Bourbon Pulled Pork (Slow Cooker!)
Mango bourbon pulled pork has the perfect combination of sweet and spicy — and the bourbon gives it that WOW factor! Make it in your slow cooker for an easy crowd pleaser.
I’ve made this mango bourbon pulled pork many, many times (adapted it from this recipe from All Recipes) and it’s always a hit! It’s great for parties because you can leave it in a slow cooker and guests can serve themselves. It stays nice and hot all evening long.
- 2 mangoes
- 1 pork shoulder roast (3 to 4 lbs.)
- 2 tablespoons ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 shot (1.5 fluid ounce) bourbon whiskey
- 2 (12 ounce) bottles barbecue sauce (I use Sweet Baby Ray’s Honey Chipotle)
- Buns for serving, toasted if desired
- Peel the mangoes and remove the pits. Place the pits into a slow cooker, then roughly chop the mango and set aside. Place the pork shoulder into the slow cooker, and season with the black pepper, kosher salt, and 1 teaspoon chili powder; pour in the balsamic vinegar and water.
- Cover, and cook on low 5 to 8 hours until the meat is very tender. Once done, drain the pork, discarding the cooking liquid and mango pits, and shred with two forks.
- While the pork is cooking, puree the chopped mango in a blender until smooth, then pour into a saucepan along with the honey, 1 teaspoon chili powder, and whiskey. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, stirring frequently until the mango has reduced and darkened slightly, about 10 minutes. Stir in the barbecue sauce, and remove from the heat.
- Return the shredded pork to the slow cooker, and stir in the mango barbecue sauce. You may not need it all, depending on how sloppy you want it to be. Cover, and cook on high 1 to 2 hours until the pork absorbs the barbecue sauce.
- Recipe adapted from All Recipes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1 sandwich
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 102Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 248mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 1gSugar: 11gProtein: 4g
RachelCooks.com sometimes provides nutritional information, but these figures should be considered estimates, as they are not calculated by a registered dietitian. Please consult a medical professional for any specific nutrition, diet, or allergy advice.
Husband’s take: “Wow.” “Oh my gosh.” He likes it. He had two sandwiches and is having all of the leftovers in his lunch tomorrow.
Changes I would make: Honestly? None. If you’re not a drinker, I would go to a liquor store and get a small (airline) bottle of bourbon, because all you need is a little bit. The bourbon really lends a delicious flavor to this recipe, so I wouldn’t recommend skipping it all together.
What I served it with: Sweet potato fries. Strawberries and bananas for dessert. If I lived in a perfect world, it would be served with coleslaw, potato chips, and a beer.
Difficulty: Easy to moderate.