Taco Turkey Burger Recipe
This taco turkey burger recipe combines your summertime favorite (the burger!) with your every day favorite – the taco!
Please excuse the major guacamole avalanche in the photo above but is is so completely necessary. The guacamole held strong through the first couple snaps of my camera but quickly met its demise. And then again when I ate it.
We’re big fans of turkey burgers (please don’t judge the photos in that post) here in the Gurk household. It’s a quick and easy meal, healthy and satisfying. I’ve done pizza turkey burgers so it was clearly time for a TACO turkey burger recipe with my beloved taco seasoning. These burgers come together so quickly and would be great for a crowd with a toppings bar. Customizable with whatever you like on your traditional tacos. You can top these with guacamole (or even sliced avocado), diced tomato, salsa, sour cream, lettuce, fresh cilantro, whatever your heart desires. You could even swap out the whole wheat bun for a large tortilla. The possibilities are endless. The burger itself is pretty simple (but not in a boring, bland way!). I used crushed tortilla chips to bind things together instead of bread crumbs. The taco seasoning gives plenty of flavor but is complimented by some grated onion. The grated onion also adds great moisture to these burgers.
Our grill isn’t too reliable so I cooked these under the broiler and topped with some sharp cheddar cheese. You could also cook these on a stovetop grill or even in a regular skillet. Remember they are turkey so you’ll want to cook them all the way through — no medium-rare allowed with these babies.
Taco Turkey Burger Recipe
Yield: 4 burgers
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
This taco turkey burger recipe combines your summertime favorite (the burger!) with your every day favorite - the taco!
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning (I used homemade)
- 1 cup finely crushed tortilla chips
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 of a small yellow onion
- 4 slices white cheddar cheese
- Topping suggestions: sour cream, salsa, guacamole, lettuce, tomato
- To a large bowl, add ground turkey, taco seasoning, crushed tortilla chips, and beaten egg. Grate the onion over the bowl to catch all the juice. Mix everything together using your hands until it is combined. Do not overmix.
- Form into four equal patties, pressing down the middle of each so they are slightly thinner in the middle. Place on a sheet pan lined with foil and broil on high (about 4-5 inches from the heat) for about 6 minutes (or until golden brown), flip over, cook for another 2-3 minutes, add cheese slices, and cook for one more minute or until cheese is melted and burgers are cooked through to 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add to buns, top as desired and serve immediately.
Follow the links below to see all the great burgers created for the final day of #BurgerWeek hosted by NoshOn.It, or click on the graphic below for the entire collection of mouth-watering burger recipes!
French Bistro Burgers from Handle the Heat
All American Cheese Burger from Chez Us
Mediterranean Burgers with Whipped Feta from Cookie Monster Cooking
Prociutto-Wrapped Burgers with Cantaloupe Slaw from 10th Kitchen
Spicy Ahi Tuna Sliders with Crispy Maui Onion Strings from Pineapple and Coconut
Do you want to become a grilling pro? Need a new grill? #BurgerWeek sponsor Broil King wants to give you the chance to win one of their high-performance gas grills (a $549+tax value) plus burger grilling accessories to use in your home!
Made entirely in North America, every one of Broil King’s gas grills are made of the highest-quality materials and engineering that allows you the versatility to sear the perfect burger or steak, roast chicken or vegetables, or even bake a dessert right on the grill. Their grills are already in more Canadian backyards than any other brand and they’re available in the U.S. at Lowe’s and many other retailers! To enter to win your own Broil King grill, just click on the banner below.
Disclaimer: I was NOT paid or reimbursed in any way to write this post. I love burgers and NoshOn.It is a great blogger friend!