Roasted Carrots with Thyme and Nutmeg

Roasted Carrots with Thyme and Nutmeg | RachelCooks.com

Roasted vegetables (old photography alert!)  are one of my all-time favorite things and definitely my favorite way to eat vegetables. I love the sweetness that the oven brings out and they are still so simple and easy to make. They are perfect with just olive oil, salt and pepper but you can really get creative and add herbs, spices, vinegars, etc., etc., etc.

Of all the roasted vegetables, carrots are up there as one of my favorites. Mushrooms are hands-down at the top of the list. I have a recipe coming soon for those, too. Some other favorites? Squash, onions, parsnips. I’m getting hungry just writing about it.  Then there are Brussels sprouts, too! I could eat hundreds of these roasted carrots. Raw carrots? Not so much. I’ll eat them but I don’t love them. You just chew, and chew, and chew and the carrot becomes a gross texture. In my personal opinion. Love them shredded or julienned on a salad though! These roasted carrots with thyme and nutmeg have so much amazing flavor that you’ll just keep coming back for more, and more, and more.

Roasted Carrots with Thyme and Nutmeg | RachelCooks.com

Even the slightly browner ones tasted great. More sweetness, more caramelization, more flavor!

Roasted Carrots with Thyme and Nutmeg | RachelCooks.com

Roasted Carrots with Thyme and Nutmeg

Yield: 3-4 servings

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 20 minutes

Total Time: 30 minutes

These roasted carrots with thyme and nutmeg have so much flavor, you'll want to eat them like they are candy. Sweet, flavorful, and good for you. What more could you want?

Ingredients:

• 6-8 carrots, peeled and cut into uniform chunks about ¾ inch long
  • 1 tablespoon canola oil or mild olive oil
  • 1 and ½ teaspoons fresh thyme leaves, roughly chopped
  • ½ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
  • salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
  2. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss all ingredients together. Bake for 10 minutes, stir, and bake for 10 more minutes or until cooked through and golden brown.

Verdict: I’ll definitely be making these again. A fun change from my usual olive oil/balsamic roasted veggies.

Husband’s take: Loved them!

How I served them to my daughter: What you see is what you get. She loved them.

Changes I would make: None.

Difficulty: Very easy!

22 Responses to “Roasted Carrots with Thyme and Nutmeg”

1. Jamie | Thrifty Veggie Mama — March 20, 2013 at 7:38 am

I love roasted veggies! I’m not a big fan of cooked carrots but love them roasted!

2. Kathryn — March 20, 2013 at 8:11 am

I love roasted carrots too – one of my absolute favourite vegetables and I love the combination of thyme and nutmeg you’ve used here!

3. Sues — March 20, 2013 at 9:28 am

Roasted carrots are seriously like candy to me. And this version looks extra awesome with the nutmeg!

4. Cassie | Bake Your Day — March 20, 2013 at 9:46 am

I love roasted veggies. I want the whole bowl of these!

5. Ali | Gimme Some Oven — March 20, 2013 at 9:49 am

YUM! Anything is better roasted in my book. ;) These are beautiful!

6. Lauren @ Climbing Grier Mountain — March 20, 2013 at 9:58 am

I love roasted carrots. Completely agree with you on the whole non-roasted part. They just don’t taste the same!

7. Stephanie @ Girl Versus Dough — March 20, 2013 at 10:23 am

LOVE roasted carrots, and especially love the addition of thyme and nutmeg on these!

8. Bree {Skinny Mommy} — March 20, 2013 at 10:25 am

I roast EVERYTHING! I will have to try this flavor combination–sounds great!

9. Meagan @ A Zesty Bite — March 20, 2013 at 11:00 am

I like roasted vegetables and these look great. I’m digging that you used nutmeg on them.

10. katie — March 20, 2013 at 11:08 am

Oh how I love thee roasted carrots. Seriously, they are like candy. I love the idea of tossing them with thyme and nutmeg. Never thought of that flavor combo!

11. Kelly Senyei (Just a Taste) — March 20, 2013 at 11:17 am

These are stunning! I absolutely love the pairing of carrots and thyme. They’re the perfect combo!

12. Nutmeg Nanny — March 20, 2013 at 12:21 pm

Yum, I always enjoy roasted vegetables. The addition of thyme and nutmeg is flawless.

13. Terri — March 20, 2013 at 1:21 pm

I’m looking forward to making this with my lemon thyme when it make it’s appearance later this spring.

14. Jessica@AKitchenAddiction — March 20, 2013 at 3:36 pm

I love roasted vegetables! These sound perfect!

15. Rachael {Simply Fresh Cooking} — March 20, 2013 at 3:37 pm

I’m just starting to warm up to carrots more lately. I’ve definitely always preferred them raw over cooked – BUT once my brother made me some roasted carrots and they were AMAZEBALLS. I’ll be trying this for sure, Rach! :)

16. Jenny @ BAKE — March 21, 2013 at 8:56 am

I love roasted carrots! your choice of spice sounds amazing!

1. Pingback: 35 Fall Recipes