[Hot Fudge Week] Part One: Traditional

I’ve declared it Hot Fudge Week here on Not Rachael Ray. Okay? Okay. If you’re not a hot fudge fan I have two things to say to you:

1) You’re crazy.

2) See you next week. Please come back even though I just called you crazy.

So loosen your jeans and get ready for four, yep, FOUR types of hot fudge. Five if I get crazy and create another one by the end of the week. I probably shouldn’t though, because then I’ll not only have to loosen my jeans, but I’ll have to step out of them, step into my sweat pants, and go to the store and buy bigger jeans. Up a size isn’t really my desired destination when it comes to jeans.

Today I’m starting with a traditional hot fudge. No extra bells or whistles, but let me tell you, tradition is good. Very, very good. You really can’t go wrong with this stuff and it is so incredibly easy to make. So you have no excuses, don’t buy that jar of pre-made hot fudge! And don’t be fooled by my Harry and David jar, I swear this stuff is homemade. I can show you a huge mess in my kitchen to prove it. Well, I could have. I’ve cleaned it once or twice since I made this last week.

Traditional Hot Fudge
makes 2 cups

1 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup cocoa
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1 cup milk (I used skim…whole would be better, obviously)
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 tsp vanilla extract

1. In a small saucepan, combine sugar, cocoa and flour with a whisk.
2. Add milk, butter, and vanilla.
3. Bring to a boil over medium high heat, stirring continuously, and boil 2-3 minutes or until thickened.
4. This thickens a bit more as it cools, but you can store it in the fridge and warm up how much you want, when you want it.

Verdict: I could eat this stuff off a spoon, but it is great over any kind of ice cream, frozen yogurt, or baked good. Umm…hello brownie hot fudge sundae?!?
Husband’s take: Loves it. The traditional type is probably his favorite, although I have some other winners coming later this week.
Changes I would make: Are you crazy? None.
Difficulty: EASY! Easier than going to the store and buying it.

22 Responses to “[Hot Fudge Week] Part One: Traditional”

1. Christina @ This Woman Cooks! — July 25, 2011 at 8:02 am

Score! You’ve been coming up with some amazing stuff here lady. Keep it up!

2. mariscallahan@gmail.com — July 25, 2011 at 10:18 am

This looks absolutely amzing! Those M&M’s are the icing on the cake!

3. Lauren — July 25, 2011 at 10:36 am

I love that you made this ridiculously divine sauce with skim milk! Ha! :)

• Rachel — July 25th, 2011 @ 12:37 pm

Ha, I know, I’m totally psychotic. All I had in the house plus I can talk myself into thinking it is healthy. HA! It would be amazing prepared with heavy cream.

4. Barefeet In The Kitchen — July 25, 2011 at 10:53 am

I like the looks of this recipe. Our favorite one years ago, contained corn syrup, so I haven’t made it in ages. (We eliminated that a while back.) I can’t wait to see your other ones as well.

5. Mal @ The Chic Geek — July 25, 2011 at 11:49 am

Looks wonderful! Can’t wait to see the other varieties to come as well.

6. Brooke @ Veggie Table — July 25, 2011 at 11:57 am

Holy Fudge – that ice cream bowl looks yummy!!!

7. Biz — July 25, 2011 at 4:17 pm

I am actually making homemade magic shell this week – you make it with coconut oil and chocolate – can’t wait! I’ve already deemed it insulin worthy and I haven’t even tried it yet!

8. Tara @ Chip Chip Hooray — July 25, 2011 at 4:54 pm

So right now I’m envisioning myself making a jar of this stuff…and then just eating it by itself, right off the spoon. No ice cream chaser required. :-D

9. Lisa~~ — July 25, 2011 at 7:18 pm

Hot fudge looks heavenly and sinfully delicious, can’t wait to see the other versions.

Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

10. Emily — July 26, 2011 at 1:58 am

Oh man! The hot fudge looks delicious! I’m going to have to remember this recipe.

11. Rachel — July 28, 2011 at 9:25 am

Just made my 1st ever batch of Hot Fudge Sauce, so glad you have blogged these this week. My kids are going to love their ice cream sundays this evening.

• Rachel — July 28th, 2011 @ 4:01 pm

Lucky them!

• Rachel — July 29th, 2011 @ 2:41 am

They polished them off in no time with rasps and crispy m&ms.

Yummy.

12. Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — July 28, 2011 at 8:03 pm

Oh this looks amazing! No wonder you both loved it!

13. Lauren at Keep It Sweet — July 29, 2011 at 6:18 am

When I first met my husband, his favorite dessert was vanilla ice cream with hot fudge and M&Ms. He would love this!

14. Leah Wilcox — October 12, 2011 at 3:33 pm

Looks yummy! And as calorie laden as it surely is, still healthier than buying in a jar!

1. Pingback: [Hot Fudge Week] Part Two: Black Forest Hot Fudge | Not Rachael Ray

2. Pingback: [Hot Fudge Week] Day Three: Mocha Hot Fudge | Not Rachael Ray