These deliciously sweet blondies are made with a doctored-up cake mix and loaded with sprinkles. A perfect treat that’s fun for a party or a special lunchbox goodie!
Why you’ll love it: These blondies are super easy to make.
How long it takes: 5 minutes to prep, 25-30 minutes to bake.
Equipment you’ll need: mixing bowl, 9×9 inch baking pan, oven
We are blondie fans at my house so I knew these would be a hit the first time I made them. How can you go wrong? Festive sweet blondies with lots of rainbow sprinkles will bring a smile to anyone’s face. You don’t have to be a unicorn fan to love these treats.
An aside: Do you have a little girl in your family who just loves unicorns? My niece is all about everything unicorn. She even dressed as the most adorable unicorn for Halloween. Too cute! Her favorite song for awhile was “Rainbows and Unicorns”! It’s a cute song but a total earworm — gets stuck in your head for hours. And yes, she loves these rainbow sprinkle blondies.
Do you know someone who could use a rainbow in their life right now? Make them a batch of these easy blondies. Or better yet, invite them to your house for a cup of coffee and a blondie. Send them home with a plate of blondies and a smile.
About these Cake Mix Blondies
These bars are seriously so easy to make! You can whip them up in five minutes. Since a cake mix is the base of the recipe, you just need to add a few things to the bowl, stir everything up and pop them into the oven.
While I generally prefer making my baked goods from scratch, sometimes using a shortcut like a boxed cake mix is a life-saver. Who doesn’t have days when you just don’t have much time to bake but there’s guests coming over or the kids need a treat. A couple more quickie recipes that I fall back on are trail mix cookies, made with refrigerated cookie dough and a few add-ins, and peanut butter cookie bars, with only 5 ingredients.
I’ll run through the recipe here (that will take about 2 seconds!). Look for the printable recipe card with complete directions and nutrition information at the end of the post.
About Cake Mixes
There are so many types of cake mixes available. It can be a bit overwhelming. Choose the cake mix brand that you like.
For this recipe, we found that a regular yellow cake mix works best. A white cake mix does not yield the same results.
What you’ll need
- Yellow Cake Mix: Select a 15 oz. box of cake mix, not one of the smaller sized boxes like Jiffy. Just plain yellow cake mix is best.
- Vegetable Oil, Milk, Egg: Normal cake mix stuff, but you’ll use much less for these bars than for cake.
- Pure Vanilla Extract: Vanilla adds lots of flavor to these blondies.
- Rainbow/Confetti Sprinkles: For lots of fun and color!
How to make This Recipe
Okay, this is how it goes. Get your oven preheating and your pan ready.
Get a medium sized bowl out. Open the cake mix and empty it into the bowl.
Add the oil, milk, egg, and vanilla. Still with me? Mix everything up with a spoon. The mixture will be pretty stiff and not runny like cake batter.
Mix in the sprinkles.
Spread the mixture in the pan. If you want, sprinkle more rainbow sprinkles on top of the batter.
Bake and cool completely (if you can wait that long) and cut into squares. Enjoy with a glass of cold milk or a cup of steaming coffee.
It’s a matter of chocolate. They are both bars but brownies are made with chocolate. Blondies are vanilla flavored.
If you’re into blondies, try this easy Blondie Recipe (from scratch). Blondies are perfect for add-ins like these Raspberry White Chocolate Blondies, Chocolate Chip Blondies, or Peanut Butter Cup Blondies Recipe.
More into brownies? Try these Mocha Brownies, Kahlua Brownies with Cinnamon, or Cream Cheese Filled Brownies.
A blondie is a bar, much denser and more chewy in texture than cake.
Make It Your Own
- Select whatever color of sprinkle you want to celebrate any occasion. Red and green for Christmas, pastel for Easter, bright green for St. Patrick’s Day, pink or red for Valentine’s Day, school colors for game day, etc.
- Like chocolate? Substitute mini chocolate chips for the sprinkles. Increase the amount to 1/2 cup.
- For an extra sweet treat, frost the blondies and add even more sprinkles to the frosting.
Make Ahead Ideas
For easy lunchbox treats, make a batch of these blondies and freeze in individual resealable bags, all set to pop into lunches. They thaw quickly so they’ll be ready to eat by lunchtime.
These festive bars store really well. After they’ve completely cooled, cut them into squares and arrange them in an airtight container, with waxed paper or parchment between layers. They’ll keep on the counter up to three days, in the fridge for a week, or in the freezer for three months.
What to do with leftover blondies? Hmmmm, let me think. Is there such a thing? Probably not.
- 1 box (15 oz.) yellow cake mix
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup rainbow sprinkles, plus more to top if desired
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 9×9-inch baking pan or line it with parchment paper and set aside.
- Mix together cake mix, vegetable oil, milk, egg, and vanilla extract. The batter should be well mixed but it will be stiff.
- Transfer batter to the prepared baking pan and spread evenly with a rubber spatula. If desired, spread more sprinkles on top of batter.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely before cutting blondies into 9 squares.
- For best results, use yellow cake mix. Funfetti or white cake mixes result in drier blondies.
- If using an 8×8 -inch pan, bake blondies 30-35 minutes.
- Feel free to substitute different sprinkle colors, depending on the occasion. Mini chocolate chips can be substituted as well (1/2 cup).
- Bars will keep on the counter in a tightly covered container for 3 days, or a week in the fridge, or 3 months in the freezer.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.