Pizza Chicken – One pan, 5 ingredients!
This easy five ingredient, one-pan pizza chicken is a weeknight lifesaver. It’s a crowd-pleaser of a dinner!
I know pizza and healthy eating aren’t exactly synonymous but I’ve never been one to follow the trends. Well, sometimes I follow trends but I’m usually at the very least six months behind the curve. I do, however, believe in balance and today that balance appears in the form of dressing up a chicken breast and making it taste like pizza.
I also believe in easy recipes and eating them in January. And February…and March…and April…you get the point. Not only is this pizza baked chicken a five ingredient recipe, but it’s also made in only one pan. It’s ridiculously easy and it has become a quick go-to recipe in my home, and I know you’re going to feel the same way about it.
About this Pizza Chicken:
The sauce that the chicken bakes in is a mixture of pizza sauce and diced tomatoes. You’ll mix those together right in the baking dish, add the chicken and bake. Right before it’s finished, the cheese and pepperoni go on.
We love to eat this with cheese ravioli or pasta, but if you’re more into the January healthy eating mindset (go you!), it would be amazing with zucchini noodles, or on its own served with a side salad and Italian bread. I recommend tasty roasted broccoli to serve as a side dish.
The sauce keeps the chicken juicy and flavorful. The cheese and pepperoni make this hot dish feel like a serious treat, but in reality it’s still pretty balanced, healthy eating.
Make this Pizza Chicken your own:
- Make it dairy-free: Umm…just leave the cheese off, k?
- Make it low-carb or keto: You’re in luck, if you pick a low-carb pizza sauce, it already is.
- Make it Whole30: Omit the cheese and choose compliant pizza sauce and pepperoni.
- Add more vegetables: ALWAYS! Chop some spinach and stir it into the sauce. Or you could top the chicken breasts with a vegetable instead of pepperoni. Try sautéing mushrooms, bell peppers, or onions and adding those! There are always good ways to add vegetables. I also love this served with zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash.
- Make it faster: I haven’t tested it, but if you used chicken tenders or butterflied your chicken and put it in a slightly larger pan, you could probably cut down on the cooking time.
Can’t wait to hear what you guys think of this one! I might just make it again tonight…
Need some more one pan meals in your life?
Don’t we all! Here are some I recommend:
- One Pan Sausage Dinner with Fall Vegetables
- Chicken Marsala Pasta
- Sausage Sheet Pan Dinner
- Instant Pot Spaghetti and Meat Sauce
- One Pan Garlic Parmesan Chicken and Veggies from Chelsea’s Messy Apron
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 jar (14 oz) pizza sauce
- 1 1/2 - 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons mozzarella cheese
- 9-12 sliced pepperoni
- Fresh basil or parsley for garnish, optional
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray a baking dish (I use a rectangle one slightly smaller than a 9x13) with nonstick cooking spray.
- Stir together pizza sauce and tomatoes in prepared pan.
- Place chicken on top of sauce and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Nestle chicken down into sauce.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until chicken registers to 165°F when checked with an instant read thermometer (I swear by this one).
- Sprinkle with cheese and place pepperoni on top. Bake for 3-5 more minutes or until cheese is melted. Broil if desired to brown cheese and pepperoni.
- Serve immediately, sprinkled with fresh parsley or basil.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 292Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 135mgSodium: 359mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 49g
Husband’s take: Ben loves this meal! E does too…my little man N doesn’t like anything but macaroni and cheese.
Changes I would make: None are necessary.
Difficulty: So EASY!