Parmesan Crusted Pepperoni Pizza Grilled Cheese (VIDEO)
Grilled cheese like you’ve never had it! Celebrate Grilled Cheese Month (or any month!) with this Parmesan crusted pepperoni pizza grilled cheese recipe.
So, I don’t know if you’ve heard or not, but April is Grilled Cheese Month!!! This is exciting for so many reasons. I went through a major grilled cheese phase in graduate school. I ate grilled cheese sandwiches so often that one of my professors dubbed me the “Grilled Cheese Queen.”
I think it was in an exercise physiology class and we were talking about nutrition, and for two or three days in a row, it just so happened that we talked about what we had eaten for lunch. And I had a grilled cheese sandwich for lunch ALL of those days.
Anyways — I was in grad school. I didn’t have a lot of money. Cheese and bread were a cheap, easy, and oh-so-delicious meal solution. Great to make and eat quickly before heading back out to the library to study for hours on end. Hours. And hours.
So I’m in Physical Therapy school and they called me the grilled cheese queen. Not at all embarrassing…. People in classes ahead of me even knew me by this name.
Whatever, I’ll own it. Grilled cheese is clearly one of the best foods known to man. And it’s so adaptable! Add bacon. Add a huge, tasty, juicy tomato (those are coming eventually, right?), add pesto, add whatever the heck you want. Or whatever you have in your fridge.
I’m also obsessed with anything “pizza.” Maybe it’s because of my toddlers, but more likely, it’s because of me. Pizza Quinoa Stuffed Peppers. Pizza Lasagna Rolls. Pizza Macaroni and Cheese Muffins. Pizza Chicken Tenders. Pizza Pizza Pizza. Oh my goodness if you want to dive into my archives and horrible photos, there are even more. Pizza turkey burgers, Pizza baked pasta and pizza paninis. But it’s grilled cheese month, not pizza month.
This pizza grilled cheese sandwich is stuffed with pepperoni, pizza sauce and mozzarella cheese. And if that weren’t enough, it has a crispy Parmesan cheese crust that takes it right over the top!
Bread, cheese, butter!
Craving more of this trifecta? Here’s a few more recipes for you:
- 2 slices whole grain bread
- 2 teaspoons butter, softened or spreadable
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 tablespoon pizza sauce
- 6 slices pepperoni
- 4 tablespoons mozzarella, divided
- Butter one side of each slice of bread with softened butter. On unbuttered side of one slice, spread on pizza sauce. Then add about 3 tablespoons of the mozzarella, lay out the pepperoni, and then top with the rest of the mozzarella and the other slice of bread. The buttered side should be on the outside.
- On one buttered side, spread 1 tablespoon of grated parmesan cheese and press down gently. Place this face down on a skillet or griddle heated over medium heat. Top the other buttered side (should be face up in the pan) with the rest of the parmesan cheese.
- Cook for 4-6 minutes on each side or until golden brown and cheese on the inside is melted. Enjoy immediately.
- Measurements are approximate and will vary based on size of bread.
- Sliced mozzarella cheese can be used in place of shredded.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1 sandwich
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 429 Total Fat: 25g Saturated Fat: 13g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 10g Cholesterol: 64mg Sodium: 975mg Carbohydrates: 31g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 4g Protein: 20g