Whole Wheat Reduced-Fat Chocolate Banana Bread
This whole wheat reduced-fat chocolate banana bread is (almost) guilt-free and is a perfect way to start your morning. Tastes great with coffee!
Banana bread is a classic, isn’t it? It is everyone’s go-to recipe when they have a pile of brown bananas siting on the counter top that no one wants to eat. We go through bananas like a bunch of monkeys, but occasionally a few are left over that have gone a little too far. It doesn’t happen often because I like them green and Ben likes them on the brown side, and we typically freeze some brown ones for smoothies. But we go through about 4 bunches of bananas a week so I’ll often buy even more to ensure that there will be some ready to turn into banana bread.
I’ve been making this healthier version of banana bread for a long time (hence the less-than-pretty photos), but it is a family favorite. It is so super moist without hardly any oil. It freezes great and I often make two loaves so that I have one to pull out of the freezer when the first loaf has been eaten (in other words, in two days or less).
Update: I wrote a new post about my whole wheat banana bread which is the way I make it now.
I switched it up a little this time by adding some cocoa powder for some extra anti-oxidants. Yeah. For that reason. And for the great taste of cocoa. The best part is that it doesn’t add hardly any calories. I had to really fight the urge to throw in some chocolate chips as well to drive home the chocolate flavor but I wanted to keep this whole wheat reduced-fat chocolate banana bread as something I could feel good about eating at breakfast.
Healthy Chocolate Banana Bread
This chocolate banana bread is (almost) guilt-free and is a perfect way to start your morning. Tastes great with coffee!
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup ground flax seed
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray a 9- by 5-inch loaf pan with nonstick baking spray. In a medium bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, flax seed, and cocoa powder until well combined. In a separate bowl, whisk together sugar, applesauce, oil, vanilla, and eggs until combined. Stir in banana to wet ingredients. Gradually stir in dry ingredients until everything is combined. Do not overmix. Pour into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake until toothpick or knife inserted into the middle of the loaf comes out almost clean, or about 1 hour. Let cool in pan for about 10 minutes before removing from pan and cooling on a wire rack. Cool completely before slicing and storing in an airtight container.
Add a cup of chocolate chips if you want this to be a little more indulgent!
Verdict: The whole family loves this bread!
Changes I would make: mmmm….chocolate chips. Maybe next time.
More Ideas for Brown Bananas:
Banana Cake with Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting (THE BEST banana cake, seriously)
Banana Mango Smoothie
Peanut Butter Chocolate Banana Milkshake
Salted Peanut and Caramel Banana Bread from Fake Ginger
Banana Doughnuts with Brown Sugar Glaze from Buns in my Oven
Whole Wheat Banana Streusel Muffins from Chocolate & Carrots
Chocolate Walnut Breakfast Cookies
Zucchini Banana Bread from Brown Eyed Baker