Banana Chocolate Chip Cake with Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting

Bananas and chocolate, a match made in heaven, no?

This banana cake is one of my absolute favorite things that my mom makes. It is so very moist, and topped with a cream cheese frosting…it is just perfect. I featured it once before on my blog, without chocolate chips, in the form of cake pops.

I took it totally over the top.

Like…hurt your teeth over the top. But it’s good, really good.

My mother in law said this was “the best cake and frosting she ever had.” And let me tell you–the woman is no cake novice. I consider this an expert opinion. I also ate waaaaay more than my fair share of this.

But I’m pregnant. So it’s cool. Jillian Michaels and I are going to be best buds come December.

Banana Chocolate Chip Cake

2 cups all-purpose flour
1.5 cups sugar
1.5 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 medium-sized bananas, mashed
1/2 cup buttermilk or sour milk (make your own by adding 1 tablespoon white vinegar to 1/2 cup of milk)
1/2 cup shortening
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 350*F.
2. Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
3. Add rest of ingredients to the dry ingredients and beat on low-speed until combined.
4. Increased to medium speed and blend for 3 minutes. Fold in chocolate chips.
5. Spread into a greased 9″x13″ baking dish and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean.
6. Cool completely before frosting.

Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting:

one 8 ounce package of cream cheese, softened (reduced-fat will work, I wouldn’t use fat-free)
1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 to 3 teaspoons of milk (maybe more)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup cocoa powder
~4 cups of powdered sugar (confectioner’s sugar)

1. In large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat together cream cheese, butter, vanilla, and milk until smooth.
2. Add in cocoa powder and powdered sugar (one cup at a time) and continue to beat on low speed until frosting is smooth and to your desired consistency. Spread on cooled cake.

Note: Due to the cream cheese in the frosting, this cake should be refrigerated. I actually like it better cold, but that is just me!

Verdict: I could have eaten the WHOLE ENTIRE PAN. I almost did.
Husband’s take: He loved it. He kept calling it banana bread. I like that because it sounds healthier than it really is.
Changes I would make: Maybe less frosting next time. I know, I can’t believe I just said that either. If you wanted to turn this into a layer cake, the amount of frosting would probably be perfect. However, if you don’t have a HUGE sweet tooth, I’d suggest halving the frosting for a 9×13. Ben agrees. My mother-in-law disagrees. I’m torn. I do love this frosting.
Difficulty: Easy.

PS: The pancake party kicks off tomorrow! Check back for a month full of pancakes and great giveaways–you won’t want to miss them!

38 Responses to “Banana Chocolate Chip Cake with Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting”

1. Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — June 29, 2012 at 6:29 am

This sounds fabulous! Love the look of it too :)

2. Kim | At Home With Kim — June 29, 2012 at 7:03 am

I LOVE bananas…. and my family ~ does not! Ugh. How is that possible? This cake looks so delish…. and will be the perfect thing to make when I have some girlfriends over for lunch soon. Can’t wait to try it!!

3. Tracey — June 29, 2012 at 8:01 am

This would be totally acceptable to eat for breakfast, right?? Because that’s so what I’d do right now if a slice appeared in front of me :) Looks awesome!

4. Maureen @ Orgasmic Chef — June 29, 2012 at 8:10 am

I’ve just had an attack of cake craving and I’m not pregnant! It looks delicious.

5. Autumn@Good Eats Girl — June 29, 2012 at 8:32 am

Drooling. I’d eat the entire pan if it was in front of me. This looks just amazing!

6. Lesa @Edesia's Notebook — June 29, 2012 at 8:35 am

Chocolate cream cheese frosting? Oh my! I would have to side with not halving it. Although the cake looks pretty amazing too.

7. Lauren at Keep It Sweet — June 29, 2012 at 9:15 am

Not pregnant but pretty sure I could devour most of that cake too!

8. Ali @ Gimme Some Oven — June 29, 2012 at 9:16 am

Oh my goodness — so many of my favorite things in one cake! This looks delicious!!! :)

9. kelley {mountain mama cooks} — June 29, 2012 at 9:50 am

Oh lordy, girl. This looks insane. I know what I’m making with the leftover bananas sitting on my counter. :)

10. Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — June 29, 2012 at 10:31 am

Woah. There is nothing about this cake that doesn’t make me want to fight someone for it. Looks so, so good, Rachel!

11. Heather (Heather's Dish) — June 29, 2012 at 10:50 am

hey, i maintain that it’s good for you if it makes your heart happy – so this cake must be like a total superfood. just tell jillian that, she’ll totally get it :)

12. Jessica@AKitchenAddiction — June 29, 2012 at 11:31 am

This sounds amazing! And that frosting. . .pretty sure I’d be eating it straight from the bowl!

13. Anna @ hiddenponies — June 29, 2012 at 11:33 am

Oh man, that ICING. This is incredible.

14. Ashley Bee @ Quarter Life Crisis Cuisine — June 29, 2012 at 11:34 am

Yum! It’s like banana bread’s cool older sister, haha. Seriously, this looks amazing. I wish bananas stayed in my house long enough to get mushy so I could try to make this too!

15. Tara @ Chip Chip Hooray — June 29, 2012 at 12:38 pm

I honestly…I don’t even know what to say. I’m only *just* starting to get into the banana-flavored-dessert thing, but this looks a.maz.ing. And um there is NO way I’m halving that frosting recipe. Your MIL and I are together there for sure.

16. Averie @ Averie Cooks — June 29, 2012 at 12:58 pm

The cake itself looks perfect and then we get to the frosting…oh yeah!!! :)

17. The Food Hunter — June 29, 2012 at 1:11 pm

Sold!

18. Christina @ This Woman Cooks! — June 29, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Oh my gosh, yes! Pregnant or not, I want this in my face.

19. Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — June 29, 2012 at 2:05 pm

Oh my, that chocolate frosting looks heavenly! And I could eat the entire pan too and I’m not prego. Is that bad?

20. Jenny @ BAKE — June 29, 2012 at 3:22 pm

I love the proportion of chocolate in this recipe!

21. Monique @ Ambitious Kitchen — June 29, 2012 at 3:48 pm

First of all, this is seriously a dream cake. I loved that you used buttermilk; I bet it was insanely moist. Secondly, I just wanted to tell you that I really enjoy your blog. Okay and finally… Pancake party? I can’t wait.

22. Kathryn — June 29, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Haha, I’m definitely going to call this banana bread. And that frosting is just like a little smear of butter isn’t it? ;)

23. Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — June 29, 2012 at 4:34 pm

Jillian Michaels is no ones best bud lol she’s the devil I swear. This is such a fun cake!

24. shelly (cookies and cups) — June 29, 2012 at 6:28 pm

Well I need to try some of this. I mean, the best cake she ever tasted? Bring it on!

25. Amber — June 29, 2012 at 7:29 pm

Definitely making this as soon as I get home!!!

26. Julie @ Table for Two — June 29, 2012 at 9:42 pm

this looks SO good and decadent. the cake part and the frosting part look like a match made in heaven!

27. Jen @ Savory Simple — June 29, 2012 at 9:48 pm

I am saving this! It looks amazing.

28. Taylor @ greens & chocolate — June 30, 2012 at 8:28 am

Oh my gosh – that frosting!!! I love banana bread with chocolate chips so of COURSE I would love this cake…looks delicious!!

29. lynn @ the actor's diet — July 1, 2012 at 9:02 pm

looks so amazing. i trust your mother in law!

30. Amy J — July 6, 2012 at 8:25 am

Definitely going to make this today (going to try making it gluten-free)! I have 3 bananas on the counter right now…just waiting for it :-)

• Rachel — July 6th, 2012 @ 11:05 am

Cool! Let me know how it turns out GF!

• Amy J — July 14th, 2012 @ 11:31 pm

I made this gluten free last weekend, and it turned out great!

I blogged about it tonight with links to your recipe/blog, and listed the flour substitutions that I used. I can’t wait to make this again – it was a big hit with my hubby and kids…and seriously I could have eaten it all myself – it was sooo good!

P.S. I am loving your Pancake Party!

31. Amanda — September 10, 2012 at 11:00 pm

I’m wondering if regular chocolate chips would be OK? I’ve already got them on hand. Would they be too weighty?
    Also, CRAP…I only have fat free cream cheese…here’s hoping…

• Rachel — September 11th, 2012 @ 8:23 am

I think regular chocolate chips would probably work. Fat free cream cheese–probably…but it won’t be as delicious!

• Amanda — September 12th, 2012 @ 3:18 am

Hey, Rachel,

It actually turned out pretty awesome! I think the chocolate chips were more likely to settle at the bottom, but it didn’t matter from bite to bite.
        The frosting was probably not AS good, but it was still fabulous. I probably only did about 2 cups powdered sugar because I’m not big on sweets…so it was a bit more tangy, but in a good way.
        Thanks for the recipe!

32. Malou — November 11, 2013 at 4:25 am

I tried your recipe, it was just delicious !! It was hard not to eat everything in one day ! ;) I did them without the frosting and it was just fine that way ! I shared your recipe on my blog (in french) here http://lacuisinedemalou.over-blog.fr/article-gateau-a-la-banane-et-aux-pepites-de-chocolat-recouvert-de-cream-cheese-banana-chocolat-chip-cake-120313280.html.

1. Pingback: Banana Chocolate Chip Cake with Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting | The Pajama Chef

2. Pingback: 27 Delicious Uses for Brown Bananas - Rachel Cooks