Whole Grain Apple Spice Pancakes
Hearty whole grain apple spice pancakes make a nutritious and delicious breakfast. Filled with chunky apples and lots of cinnamon and spice!
It is finally here! July. Pancake month. Are you prepared for a WHOLE MONTH of pancake recipes? I’m talking every. single. day.
I’m kicking it off with these Apple Spice Pancakes, a filling and nutritious pancake. It reminds you of a fall day with the flavors of cinnamon, nutmeg, and apples, but is perfect any time of the year.
I love topping these pancakes with Greek yogurt mixed with a bit of cinnamon, but they would also be great with warm applesauce, maple syrup, or just a dab of butter.
What’s in Whole Grain Apple Spice Pancakes?
- Whole wheat flour
- Ground flax seed
- Cinnamon and nutmeg
- Baking powder
- Egg, oil, milk
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup ground flax seed
- 1 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg (or ground nutmeg)
- 6 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 1-2 cups chopped, peeled apples
- vanilla Greek yogurt, applesauce or syrup (optional, for topping)
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- In small bowl, whisk together eggs, milk and oil until combined. Add to dry ingredients and whisk until just combined. Do not over mix--that will result in tough pancakes.
- Heat a griddle over medium heat. Drop batter (approximately ¼ to ½ cup for each pancake) onto hot skillet. Sprinkle apples onto pancake. Cook for 1-2 minutes or until bubbles form and do not pop. Flip pancake and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes or until browned and cooked through.
- Enjoy hot with maple syrup, warm applesauce, or Greek yogurt flavored with cinnamon. Don't forget that whipped cream is always an option (a very good one!) as well.
- This makes a lot of pancakes, probably around 20-24 depending on the size. The recipe is easy to cut in half if you are preparing them for a smaller crowd.
- The smaller you chop/dice the apples, the softer they will be.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 5 pancakes
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 372Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 55mgSodium: 1355mgCarbohydrates: 62gFiber: 7gSugar: 23gProtein: 13g
RachelCooks.com sometimes provides nutritional information, but these figures should be considered estimates, as they are not calculated by a registered dietitian. Please consult a medical professional for any specific nutrition, diet, or allergy advice.