Best Grilled Zucchini – easy technique!
Try grilled zucchini as an easy and delicious side! Perfectly done in ten minutes and you won’t believe how good it is.
Long planks of seasoned zucchini, grilled to perfection, is about the easiest thing in the world to make. I just love how plain ordinary zucchini squash turns into this buttery tasting delight. And did I mention that it’s so easy? Yes, I guess I may have.
Gardeners, do you have an abundance of zucchini this summer? Or maybe you’re like me and are lucky enough to have a generous neighbor with a prolific garden. I love cooking with zucchini because it is so versatile.
Maybe you’ve tried these pesto and cheese stuffed zucchini, or my famous zucchini rice casserole, comfort food supreme. Have you tried “zoodles” yet? You’ll love zucchini noodle salad with beans, feta, and lemon. A perfect way to use those submarine sized zucchini! And everyone loves homemade zucchini bread!
Did you know zucchini is really good for you? It has tons of nutrients, antioxidants, and fiber. If you want to know more, go to Healthline for 12 health and nutrition benefits of zucchini. It’s pretty amazing what this humble squash can do for you! Low in carbs, it’s great if you’re sticking to a Whole30, keto, or paleo diet.
So try grilling zucchini today! It’s so delicious that you may find that the grilled zucchini on your plate is the first thing to disappear. Make a lot because you’ll want a second helping for sure.
About this grilled zucchini:
This recipe is simple! Use medium sized zucchini, sliced lengthwise. Will crosswise slices work? Definitely, but it means a lot more flipping on the grill.
Preheat your grill, brush both sides of the zucchini planks with olive oil, sprinkle with seasonings, and grill.
I like to grill the zucchini slices about five minutes per side, so they get tender with nice grill marks, but aren’t falling apart.
Tip: If you’re grilling steak or chicken, wait until it’s almost done before you put the zucchini on. The zucchini is best served right off the grill.
How to make this zucchini your own:
This recipe for grilled zucchini is so basic, it’s just crying out for your special flourishes. Here’s a few ideas:
- Try different seasonings: dried red pepper flakes, garlic, fresh or dried herbs (basil, oregano, parsley, chives, dill, cilantro, thyme).
- Drizzle the grilled slices with balsamic vinegar, or even better, a balsamic reduction.
- Add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice or lemon zest.
- Garnish with a sprinkle of crunchy savory granola, Parmesan cheese, more fresh herbs, or capers.
- Use yellow summer squash instead of zucchini, or combine the two. I love grilled vegetable salad with zucchini, summer squash, mushrooms and onions.
- Don’t want to heat up the grill? You can use a grill pan on the stove with good results.
- For easy cleanup, try grilling zucchini in foil packets. Simply place the zucchini on double sheets of foil, brush with olive oil, sprinkle with seasonings, and seal the packets. Grill for 15 minutes or until desired tenderness. You won’t get the grill marks or quite the same flavor, but it’s another way to do it.
Storage and Reheating Tips
Grilled zucchini is best eaten right away. If you do have leftovers, wrap securely and refrigerate for up to two days. Reheat gently in the microwave. The texture will be somewhat softer but the taste is still excellent.
Fired up about grilling?
Grilling is such a fun and easy way to cook! Try:
- 3 medium sized zucchini
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- Preheat grill to medium heat (350-400ºF). Slice zucchini from top to bottom into quarter inch slices, about 3-4 slices, depending on size of zucchini. .
- Brush with olive oil on both sides and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and oregano.
- Grill for 5 minutes, flip, and grill for another 4-5 minutes or until desired tenderness is achieved. Best served immediately.
- Use yellow summer squash instead of zucchini, or combine the two.
- Don't want to heat up the grill? You can use a grill pan on the stove with good results.
- Grilled zucchini is best eaten right away. Wrap leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to two days. Reheat gently in the microwave. The texture will be somewhat softer but the taste is still excellent.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 85Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 269mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 2g
RachelCooks.com sometimes provides nutritional information, but these figures should be considered estimates, as they are not calculated by a registered dietitian. Please consult a medical professional for any specific nutrition, diet, or allergy advice.
Husband’s take: Ben loves this too! It always disappears.
Changes I would make: None are necessary!