Greek Style Chicken Marinade – perfect for grilling!
This Greek style chicken marinade is flavorful and made with pantry staples – don’t grill plain chicken ever again.
It’s my birthday! I’m celebrating with grilled chicken. Okay, not really. I’m celebrating with a work event for Ben. Maybe they’ll bring me cake. Or not.
So today’s events might not be glamorous but at least I get to be with my family. And tomorrow my parents arrive to spend a couple days with us. I’m always so excited to see them. My mom and I usually do a lot of cooking together.
Ben and I might take advantage of a babysitting offer to snag a date night, or we might just hang out and enjoy the beautiful weather. There was even a mention of them helping us do some landscaping work but I’m not quite sure I want to spend my birthday doing manual labor. Perhaps a manicure would be more appropriate?
We’ll probably do the landscaping. Being an adult is so boring. We have some old, ugly bushes in our front yard that just look dated and sad. I want to do smaller, more manicured shrubs. Look, I’m getting that manicure after all! Ha.
And truth be told, I might just celebrate with grilled chicken because that means Ben is manning the grill and I have one less thing to cook.
About this greek chicken marinade
This grilled chicken marinade is one of my favorites because it uses pantry staples. It has the same flavors as my favorite Greek chopped salad and Greek pasta salad. In fact, those would both be great side dishes.
Included in this marinade are red wine vinegar, olive oil, oregano, garlic powder, salt and pepper, and plain Greek yogurt. I often use yogurt in my marinades because it makes the chicken extra tender and juicy. It’s a must-have in my marinade for my chicken tawook and it works great in this recipe as well.
My birthday wish is that you never grill plain chicken ever again. Please grant my wish.
Boneless, skinless chicken breasts don’t have to be boring.
Here’s a few delicious recipes for you to try:
- 30 minute Healthy Chicken Stroganoff
- Chicken Breasts with Maple Cranberry Sauce
- Asian Grilled Chicken
- Tequila Lime Chicken Marinade
- Cilantro Lime Chicken from Chef in Training
- Grilled Chicken with Lemon, Capers and Oregano from Kalyn’s Kitchen
- 15 Minute Chipotle Cumin Grilled Chicken from Simply Scratch.
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, or more to taste
- Chicken for marinating – 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl or a zip-top bag. Add chicken and marinate for at least an hour or up to overnight.
- Remove chicken from marinade, wiping off excess with your hands. Grill until cooked through, rest for 5 minutes, serve.
- Feel free to use fresh garlic. I use garlic powder because Ben doesn’t LOVE garlic. This yields just enough flavor without the punch that fresh garlic gives.
- If you don't have plain Greek yogurt, regular yogurt works fine, too.
- I butterfly my chicken breasts to let them really soak in the flavor of the marinade.
- Nutrition information includes the marinade ingredients, most of which is discarded.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 chicken breast
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 391 Total Fat: 21g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 15g Cholesterol: 123mg Sodium: 645mg Carbohydrates: 3g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 1g Protein: 46g
Husband’s take: Loves it! One of his favorites.
Changes I would make: NADA.
Difficulty: So easy.