Roasted Cauliflower Soup with Cheddar
Cauliflower soup is a perfect weeknight meal when you’re craving a bowl of creamy soup. The sharp cheddar adds great flavor and extra creaminess.
Take flavorful roasted cauliflower and blend it with sharp white cheddar to create this luxuriously smooth and creamy soup. I think you could call this a comfort food. Certainly you may call it a delicious soup!
And since I live in Michigan where spring IS NEVER COMING, we’ll be eating soup until the cows come home. It’s so cold all the time!
PS: If you love the cauliflower and cheese combination, try my Parmesan roasted cauliflower.
Cauliflower soup is souper easy to make (ha.ha.ha. — this is what being stuck inside does to me). And since it’s against my personal moral code to eat cauliflower without first roasting it, that is obviously a necessary step.
Actually, I felt like such a fraud writing that – it might be a bit of an exaggeration. I ate steamed/boiled frozen cauliflower tonight. I was tired. Sometimes a lady just has to dump a bag of frozen veggies into a pan of hot water and get dinner on the table as quickly and easily as possible. Today was one of those days.
But I much prefer cauliflower roasted, as I do most vegetables. I actually have a list of over 40 ways to roast vegetables. Check it out if you haven’t seen it yet. Have you tried roasting sweet potatoes, or roasted broccoli, or roasted carrots, just to name a few? So good!
Roasting the cauliflower before pureeing it into the soup adds a great depth of flavor. While it isn’t completely required, it is very very very much required. I mean…recommended.
Curl up with a blanket and a mug of this cauliflower soup — it’s going to be winter forever.
Searching for more soup recipes?
I’ll share some of our family favorites with you! Try:
- Carrot Ginger Soup (vegan and Whole30)
- Split Pea Soup (vegetarian/vegan option, too)
- 15 Bean Soup with Ham (or without, if you prefer)
- Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
- Instant Pot Tomato Soup
- Butternut Squash Soup with Bacon
- Red Lentil Soup (with surprise ingredient)
- Copycat Panera Squash Soup (more healthy, though)
- 1 head of cauliflower, roasted
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced small
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water (or more)
- 6 ounces sharp white cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, more to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- Roast cauliflower.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and saute until translucent or about 5 minutes.
- Add the roasted cauliflower, chicken broth, and one cup of water. Bring to a boil and boil until cauliflower is very soft (about 10 minutes).
- Carefully transfer this mixture to a blender in batches (should take 2-3 batches) and puree until smooth.
- Return to saucepan, add cheese and cayenne and more water if necessary to thin out the soup. Heat over medium-low heat until cheese is melted and soup is heated through.
- Serve immediately or cool and store in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days.
- Cook time includes roasting cauliflower.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 of 6
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 203Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 38mgSodium: 299mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 12g
RachelCooks.com sometimes provides nutritional information, but these figures should be considered estimates, as they are not calculated by a registered dietitian. Please consult a medical professional for any specific nutrition, diet, or allergy advice.