Healthy Morning Muffins
Bake more muffins!
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup skim milk
- 4 medium carrots, shredded (use your food processor!)
- 1 medium ripe banana, mashed
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a 12 cup muffin pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, brown sugar, ground flax seed, baking soda, baking powder, nutmeg and salt until there are no lumps.
- Stir in oats and raisins.
- Add oil, egg, milk, carrots and mashed banana and stir until blended.
- Fill each muffin cup with 1/4 cup batter. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center of muffin comes out clean, 20-25 minutes.
- Serve muffins warm or at room temperature. To store, keep in an airtight container up to three days.
- If desired, replace whole wheat flour with all-purpose flour or white whole wheat flour.
- Use any type of light flavored oil or melted butter.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1 muffin
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 147Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 16mgSodium: 180mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 3gSugar: 6gProtein: 4g
RachelCooks.com sometimes provides nutritional information, but these figures should be considered estimates, as they are not calculated by a registered dietitian. Please consult a medical professional for any specific nutrition, diet, or allergy advice.