Get your protein and coffee fix all at once with this irresistible mocha protein shake recipe. You’ll want to drink it daily!
My standard combination is for a protein shake is chocolate protein with banana (frozen if available) and spinach. Sometimes I’ll throw some ground flax seed in too. I kicked this mocha protein shake recipe up a notch with some espresso powder, pure vanilla extract, cocoa powder, and cottage cheese. Yes, cottage cheese!
Why you’ll love this protein shake
- Protein boost, compliments of cottage cheese: I’ve been slowly growing to love the stuff. Usually I hide it like in these lemon poppyseed pancakes or chocolate protein pancakes. I used it double duty as a “sauce” and a cheese on this pita flatbread with asparagus, and let it melt into an egg white casserole for extra protein. It’s also not my first time using it in a smoothie or shake. My whole family loves this peach, banana and cottage cheese smoothie. If you don’t have or don’t like cottage cheese, you could use plain Greek yogurt in its place in this mocha protein shake recipe.
- Greens: I always put some type of greens in my smoothie. You can really use whatever you have on hand, but spinach is my go to.
- Even more protein: I really went heavy on the protein in this by also adding protein powder, but you could choose either cottage cheese OR protein powder if you don’t want to go that heavy on the protein.
- Mocha flavored: Cocoa powder plus espresso powder gives this protein shake an unbelievable mocha flavor. It feels like you’re drinking a milkshake!
Make it your own
Protein shakes are forgiving, so feel free to experiment.
- Switch up the greens: Try using kale instead of spinach.
- Switch up the protein sources: Try using yogurt instead of cottage cheese.
- Switch up the liquid: Use milk, almond milk, or coconut milk instead of water.
- 8 ounces water
- 1 scoop of chocolate protein powder
- 1 handful fresh baby spinach (about 1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon dark cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup low fat (2%) cottage cheese
- Ice to thicken (about 1 cup)
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Serve immediately.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.