Make your lunch a summertime treat with this easy and filling pita flatbread topped with creamy herbed cottage cheese and fresh, green asparagus.
LUNCH TIME. It’s really not my favorite. You know, it’s WAY too easy to order Jimmy John’s delivery…why do they have to make it so easy with the delivery?! And it really is freaky fast. That beach club unwich with sprouts and bbq chips is at my door in about 10 minutes flat. I can barely make lunch in ten minutes.
But – you could make this in nearly ten minutes. Or 30. But it will go by quickly. (Minor details, people!) This flatbread has crispy edges, creamy and flavorful cheese, and crispy and summery asparagus. This pita flatbread definitely gives JJ’s a run for their money.
About this pita flatbread pizza
I use an ultra-thin whole wheat pita which makes a perfectly crispy crust. If you’re interest in making your own flatbread, try this recipe. The cheesy sauce is made of pureed cottage cheese mixed with herbs and some super-sharp grated provolone cheese. You could substitute your favorite cheese.
I use asparagus which is readily available in spring and summer but choose any one of your favorite vegetables. Whatever is in season, or whatever is in your fridge. Zucchini and summer squash would be awesome. Tomatoes – yes! Roasted mushrooms – always a good idea.
Make this pita flatbread in your oven if you’re making more than one, but if you reduce the recipe to a single serving, pop the single pita flatbread in a toaster oven. For really great flavor, bake them outside on your grill.
Happy lunching! Stay away from JJ’s. Or don’t – those sandwiches are darn good.
Craving more pizzas and flatbreads?
- Grilled Pizza with Ricotta and Spinach
- Ricotta Flatbread with Bacon, Squash, Apples, and Maple Pepitas
- Bacon and Mushroom Flatbread with Shaved Asparagus
- 2 cups chopped (bite-sized) asparagus
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 ½ cups low-fat cottage cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, plus a sprinkle extra for asparagus
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (more to taste if desired), plus a sprinkle extra for asparagus
- 1 1/2 cup grated sharp provolone, divided
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped herbs (I recommend a combination of parsley, basil, chives, or dill) – additional for garnish if desired.
- 4 medium-sized thin whole wheat pitas (2-ounces each)
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Toss asparagus with olive oil on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper. Roast asparagus in preheated oven for five minutes.
- Meanwhile, place cottage cheese in a blender and blend until smooth. Pour or scrape using a rubber spatula into a medium-sized bowl. Stir in salt, pepper, 1 cup of provolone, and herbs. Stir until all ingredients are combined. Taste and add salt if desired.
- Leaving oven on, remove asparagus from baking sheet and set aside. On a new piece of parchment paper, lay out the pitas.
- Divide cottage cheese mixture evenly between 3 pitas. Spread almost to the edges, leaving about a half-inch border of pita.
- Sprinkle asparagus over the cheese mixture. Top with remaining 1/3 cup of provolone.
- Bake 15-18 minutes or until golden brown. Serve immediately topped with fresh herbs if desired.
- Substitute whatever vegetable you have on hand, or like: tomatoes, mushrooms, zucchini, summer squash, bell peppers, broccoli, etc.
- You could substitute another kind of cheese for the sharp provolone, such as mozzarella, cheddar, etc.
- Bake outside on the grill, if desired.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.