Air Fryer Potatoes – crispy with hardly any oil!
Crispy air fryer potatoes are simple and delicious. You’ll love them plain with just a bit of salt and pepper, or delectably seasoned with one of the spice mixtures suggested below.
Perfectly crispy potatoes, ready in 20 minutes, with very little oil. Sound like a dream come true? Welcome to the world of air fryers! It seems like I’m using this handy kitchen appliance more and more. Everything I try “air frying” turns out so crispy and tasty! And healthy, too, with very little added oil or fat.
Keep reading to the end of the post for lots more air fryer recipes that I’m sure you’ll love.
Who doesn’t love crispy potatoes? Whether you roast them, grill them, or “fry” them in your air fryer, crispy potatoes are always a welcome side (or a perfect snack!). And there’s nothing quite like a perfectly baked potato, crisp on the outside, fluffy on the inside. But I digress.
Air fryer potatoes are easy, fast, and perfect. You don’t have turn the oven on. ‘Nuff said, you have to try them today!
About these air fryer potatoes:
This is a very simple recipe with only a few ingredients:
- olive or avocado oil
I like to use the round baby potatoes (they’re so easy and tender) but other types of potato would work, too. Each type of potato has unique qualities so choose the one you like best. It’s up to you whether you peel them or not. Just make sure they’re clean and dry.
Cut the potatoes into half inch chunks. It’s important that they are fairly uniform in size so they cook evenly. Make sure they’re dry. Did I say that already? It’s really important.
Dry equals crispy.
There’s just no two ways about it.
Toss the potatoes with a little oil (just one tablespoon!), salt and pepper. Or try one of the seasoning mixes on the recipe card. Go Southwestern with chili powder and cumin, or Italian with Italian seasoning and garlic powder, or add herbs like dill or rosemary. Match the potatoes with the entrée you’re serving, or create your own unique seasoning.
“Fry” the potatoes in your air fryer for about twenty minutes. Give them a shake/stir now and then so they get done evenly. You can cook a whole pound at one time for about three servings.
Air fryer potatoes are a perfect side dish to accompany grilled chicken, salmon, or anything your heart desires. Serve the potatoes with homemade tzatziki or sour cream. Ketchup is always good, too. Sprinkle them with chopped chives or parsley, or a light vinaigrette. Make air fryer potatoes for breakfast.
How to make these air fried potatoes your own:
- Make the potatoes with no oil. I think they taste better with a little oil, but it isn’t essential. Instead try one of the seasoning mixes suggested below for added flavor.
- Cut the potatoes differently. Cut them in thin wedges if you hail from England, and call them “chips.” Or dice them small. They’ll cook even faster. Or try slicing them!
Storage and Reheating Tips
For best crispiness, air fryer potatoes are best served immediately. If you have leftovers, store them in a covered container in the fridge. They’ll keep a few days.
To reheat, put them back into the air fryer for a few minutes for best results, or heat in your toaster oven or skillet.
Leftover potatoes are great on a salad, too. Don’t forget about breakfast!
Loving your air fryer?
If you’re not a fan yet, try one of these easy recipes and I’m sure you will be! If you are already a fan, you won’t want to miss these recipes:
- Air Fryer French Fries — so crispy!
- Air Fryer Chicken Nuggets
- Air Fryer Salmon — my new favorite way to make salmon!
- Air Fryer French Toast Sticks
- Breaded Air Fryer Pork Chops — crisp, tender, and juicy.
- Air Fryer Falafel — a healthier way to prepare this vegetarian treat
- Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks
- Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts
- Air Fried Salted Peanuts by Fork To Spoon — these sound really good!
- 1 pound potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or avocado oil
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper, more to taste
- Seasoning mixture, if desired (see note)
- Heat air fryer to 400ºF. In a large bowl, toss potatoes, oil, salt, and pepper together. If desired, add seasoning mixture; stir well.
- Place in air fryer and cook for 18-20 minutes or until fork tender and golden brown, tossing at least once to cook evenly.
If desired, season potatoes with one of the following (before cooking):
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning + 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried dill weed, squeeze of lemon juice after cooking
- 1 teaspoon chili powder + half teaspoon cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed dried rosemary + 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 3 Serving Size: 1/3 lb.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 222Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 671mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 3gSugar: 2gProtein: 4g
RachelCooks.com sometimes provides nutritional information, but these figures should be considered estimates, as they are not calculated by a registered dietitian. Please consult a medical professional for any specific nutrition, diet, or allergy advice.
Husband’s take: This is probably his favorite way to eat potatoes.
Changes I would make: None!
Difficulty: So easy!