Dill Chicken Salad – Healthy and Easy!
This dill chicken salad is healthy, easy to make and perfect if you like to meal prep! It’s great on a croissant, a wrap, a salad, or on its own!
Chicken salad is one of my favorite things to make when I’m meal prepping. It’s healthy, delicious and easy to grab out of the fridge when you need a protein-packed meal. If you haven’t tried them already, make sure to also check out my healthy chicken salad with walnuts and grapes (I also make this without walnuts and it’s great), and my southwest chicken salad (you’re going to love the flavors in that one!).
The fresh dill in this chicken salad goes great with the creamy dressing, which I made healthier…of course! It’s fresh, flavorful and a taste of spring no matter what time of the year it is. I kept the rest of this dill chicken salad fairly straight-forward; I added celery for crunch and finely minced green onions for another layer of flavor. If you’re a big onion fan, you could add extra green onions or some diced yellow onion.
The dressing is a combination of Greek yogurt and mayonnaise, my go-to combination for chicken salad recipes. I like using the yogurt to keep it light and healthy but I always still add in a little mayo to mellow out the tanginess of the yogurt. For this chicken salad, I also added some apple cider vinegar for additional flavor and to brighten up the flavors.
One thing to note is that since it is made with yogurt not just mayo, it will separate slightly when you store it in the fridge. That’s totally normal, just give it a stir when you’re ready to eat.
In a perfect world with no calories, I’d be enjoying this on a soft croissant every single time. However, it’s also good on its own, on a pile of lettuce, or in a wrap. What’s your favorite way to eat chicken salad?
- 1.5 - 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and diced or shredded
- 1/2 cup diced celery (1-2 stalks)
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise (I like the kind made with olive oil)
- 1/4 cup minced fresh dill
- 1 heaping tablespoon minced green onion (about 1 green onion, minced)
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Bread, wraps, or croissants for serving
- In a large bowl, combine cooked chicken and celery. In a small bowl or measuring cup, combine yogurt, mayonnaise, dill, green onion, dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper. Taste and season with more salt and pepper if desired.
- Stir dressing into chicken and celery until everything is coated evenly.
- Serve immediately with bread, wraps, or croissants or store in a covered container in the fridge for 3-4 days. The yogurt will separate slightly when stored in the fridge (especially if it's a lower fat percentage like nonfat), stir to combine all ingredients before serving if not serving immediately.
- If you prefer a more sweet and less tangy chicken salad, you might want to omit the vinegar and/or add some honey to the dressing.
- Love lemon? Add some lemon zest to the dressing - it tastes great with the dill and adds a great fresh bright flavor to this chicken salad.
- Love onions? Feel free to add more green onions or diced yellow onions to taste.
- Nutrition information does not include croissant, bread, or wrap.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 270Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 104mgSodium: 0mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 0gSugar: 3gProtein: 43g
Husband’s take: Ben loves this version of chicken salad – no complaints at all! My mother-in-law also loves this recipe.
Changes I would make: None are necessary but if you want some ideas, check out my recipe notes!
Difficulty: Very easy!