Honey Mustard Chicken Marinade
Sweet and tangy, this honey mustard chicken marinade is not only a huge hit with everyone that tries it, but it’s also easy to make and you probably have all the ingredients on hand. Try it tonight!
I developed this recipe a few weeks ago and I’ve already made it four or five times. Everyone that has tried it has absolutely loved it and asked what is it in. Usually this Greek style chicken marinade is my go-to (I still adore it), but this honey mustard chicken marinade is shaping up to be the marinade of summer 2018.
Last week, we had dinner guests on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday, and then again the following Saturday (this past weekend). Thankfully, I love hosting friends and family in our home and I’ve mastered the art of keeping things simple. Okay, sometimes I get a litttttle carried away in the food department, but it’s kinda my thing.
Actually, getting carried away with food was the reason we had company Sunday. I made so much food on Saturday that I invited my parents over to dinner on Sunday. We grilled chicken, but I had all the side dishes ready to go from the night before. And my parents are perfectly content to eat leftovers, so it’s a win-win.
Despite getting carried away with food, I’m not afraid to keep things simple and pull out the paper plates, especially if we’re grilling something like hotdogs and hamburgers. There isn’t much I like less than having to do a giant pile of dishes after I’ve had a couple glasses of wine and then kids are in bed and the company is gone.
I’d rather sit and relax! I also don’t like my guests feeling like they need to offer to help. Paper plates make everyone feel relaxed, am I right?
Getting back on topic here, this honey mustard chicken marinade is simple as simple can be…just like using paper plates…
Some marinades are best if you let the chicken marinate overnight, but I’ve done this one as little as 2 hours before we grill the chicken, and it still adds amazing flavor to the chicken. It sticks to the chicken pretty well, so all that amazing flavor stays right on the chicken.
Ingredients in this Honey Mustard Chicken Marinade:
- Country-Style or Coarse Ground Dijon Mustard – you could use regular Dijon mustard if you were in a pinch. If you were reallllly in a pinch, you could also use yellow mustard.
- Honey – The honey adds a lovely sweetness…it’s what makes this chicken so irresistible.
- Olive Oil – Brings things together and helps add moisture to the chicken.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – Adds a great tang and brightens up the flavors!
- Paprika – Adds a subtle flavor but also gives this marinade (and therefore, the chicken) a great color.
- Garlic Powder – My mom is very sensitive to garlic so I’ve actually made this marinade once without the garlic, and it still turns out great. Feel free to do whatever you like best, it really is good both ways!
- Salt and Pepper, of course!
Can’t wait to hear how much you guys love this simple recipe! If you make it, post a picture on Instagram and tag me and/or use the hashtag #rachelcooks so I can see it! It’s my favorite part of this crazy, strange, weird job I have.
More Great Chicken Marinades:
- Lebanese Marinated Chicken – aka Shish Tawook
- Balsamic Chicken Marinade Recipe – Another one of my go-to recipe – Whole30 friendly!
- Tequila Lime Chicken Marinade – Great for fajitas!
- Beer Marinated Chicken Thighs – Perfect for summer!
- Sesame Ginger Grilled Chicken Breasts from The Spruce Eats
- Coconut Lime Grilled Chicken from Family Food on the Table
Serving Size: 1/2 pound serving of chicken
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 268 Total Fat: 9g Saturated Fat: 1g Cholesterol: 110mg Sodium: 0mg Carbohydrates: 10g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 9g Protein: 44g
Husband’s take: Ben loves this marinade…he grills it to perfection every time!
Changes I would make: None are necessary. You could use regular Dijon mustard with this if that’s all you had, but I love the look and taste of the coarse, country-style Dijon. I also think this marinade would be fantastic on pork! Mustard is so good on pork.
Difficulty: Easy! So easy.