White Bean Soup with Kale and Pancetta
I’m not going to lie, soups never used to really excite me. I’d always want something else with them. But they’ve really been growing on me lately. Maybe it’s because they’re typically pretty easy to make. Ben’s job as a high school principal means I hardly ever see the guy. And if I do, it’s often for a quick dinner before he jets back to work for a game, a concert, or a meeting. Sometimes we tag along, sometimes he takes the kids so I can have a little time to get stuff done, or sometimes he goes back alone. Because my kids, aged 2 and 4, don’t really do so well with the sit-and-be-quiet needed for concerts and meetings. Loud sports games are completely doable though.
So I’ve been looking for quick meals that don’t come from a pizza delivery man. Because, as always, I’m on my never-ending quest to lose weight.
(As a total side note, I went to my primary care physician…waaaaay overdue, but I’ve been having terrible headaches so I finally dragged myself into the doctor. Anyways, she said I shouldn’t lose as much weight as I want to. Which is probably good because it’s not likely to ever happen anyways. Because…food blog. And brownies.)
This soup fits the bill of a soup my whole family loves. E even ate some, and N is still in that phase where he doesn’t eat anything. I always loved Campbell’s bean with bacon soup growing up. This soup is total different (I mean…umm…KALE), but the flavors of the smoky pancetta paired with the beans really reminds of bean with bacon soup. This soup is filling and flavorful and quickly became a new favorite of ours.
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 ounces (3/4 to 1 cup) diced pancetta
- 1 small yellow onion, diced (about a cup)
- 2 carrots, diced (about a cup)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 cups loosely packed baby kale (spinach would work too)
- two (15.5-ounce) cans Cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can diced tomatoes with juice
- 4 cups reduced sodium chicken stock or broth
- fresh parsley for garnish
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add pancetta and cook until browned. Remove and place on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Remove all but one tablespoon of the oil from the pan. Add onions and carrots and sauté until softened and onions are translucent. Add garlic and stir, continuing to cook for a minute until fragrant.
- Add baby kale and continue to stir until kale is wilted. Add cooked pancetta, beans, tomatoes and broth.
- Cook until heated through and serve garnished with plenty of fresh parsley.
Serving size: 1 cup
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 273Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 11mgSodium: 434mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 8gSugar: 4gProtein: 14g
Husband’s take: He loved it and said it was actually better the second day.
Changes I would make: None!
Looking for more soup recipes like this white bean soup with kale? Try these: 20 Minute Healthy Turkey, Bean and Spinach Soup, Red Lentil Soup Recipe, Chicken Soup with Farro, Creamy Tomato Soup with Whole Wheat Orzo, Creamy Spinach and Pear Soup with Pancetta from Love and Olive Oil, Tortellini Soup with Pancetta and White Beans from Cookin’ Canuck, or Pancetta and Winter Vegetable Soup from Fabtastic Eats.