Taco Turkey Burger Recipe – with video
This taco turkey burger recipe combines your summertime favorite (the burger!) with your every day favorite – the taco!
Please excuse the major guacamole avalanche in the photo above but is is so completely necessary. The guacamole held strong through the first couple snaps of my camera but quickly met its demise. And then again when I ate it.
We’re big fans of turkey burgers (please don’t judge the photos in that post) here in the Gurk household. It’s a quick and easy meal, healthy and satisfying. I’ve done pizza turkey burgers so it was clearly time for a TACO turkey burger recipe with my beloved taco seasoning. These burgers come together so quickly and would be great for a crowd with a toppings bar. Customizable with whatever you like on your traditional tacos. You can top these with guacamole (or even sliced avocado), diced tomato, salsa, sour cream, lettuce, fresh cilantro, whatever your heart desires. You could even swap out the whole wheat bun for a large tortilla. The possibilities are endless. The burger itself is pretty simple (but not in a boring, bland way!). I used crushed tortilla chips to bind things together instead of bread crumbs. The taco seasoning gives plenty of flavor but is complemented by some grated onion. The grated onion also adds great moisture to these burgers.
Don’t miss the video for this taco burger recipe!
Our grill isn’t too reliable so I cooked these under the broiler and topped with some sharp cheddar cheese. You could also cook these on a stovetop grill or even in a regular skillet. Remember they are turkey so you’ll want to cook them all the way through — no medium-rare allowed with these babies.
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning (I used homemade)
- 1 cup finely crushed tortilla chips
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 of a small yellow onion
- 4 slices white cheddar cheese
- Topping suggestions: sour cream, salsa, guacamole, lettuce, tomato
- To a large bowl, add ground turkey, taco seasoning, crushed tortilla chips, and beaten egg. Grate the onion over the bowl to catch all the juice. Mix everything together using your hands until it is combined. Do not overmix.
- Form into four equal patties, pressing down the middle of each so they are slightly thinner in the middle. Place on a sheet pan lined with foil and broil on high (about 4-5 inches from the heat) for about 6 minutes (or until golden brown), flip over, cook for another 2-3 minutes, add cheese slices, and cook for one more minute or until cheese is melted and burgers are cooked through to 165°F.
- Add to buns, top as desired and serve immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 501Total Fat: 34gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 196mgSodium: 578mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 38g
Follow the links below to see other great burgers created for the final day of #BurgerWeek hosted by NoshOn.It!
French Bistro Burgers from Handle the Heat
Spicy Ahi Tuna Sliders with Crispy Maui Onion Strings from Pineapple and Coconut
Disclaimer: I was NOT paid or reimbursed in any way to write this post. I love burgers and NoshOn.It is a great blogger friend!