Shish Tawook – Lebanese Marinated Chicken (VIDEO)
We get Lebanese carry-out a lot.
More than I care to admit.
We’re talking once a week, people. Usually on Sundays. But we’re working on cutting down on the carry-out to save money and be more conscientious about what we eat. Besides, now that cooking doesn’t make me want to lose my cookies, I actually enjoy being in the kitchen again.
(PS: This was before we moved away from an area where authentic Lebanese carry-out was plentiful. Now I go through withdrawls….but thank goodness for recipes like this!)
I can’t even tell you how great that feels. And let’s be honest, most things you can get at a restaurant, you can make at home.
Moreover, they will probably taste better and be better for you (less sodium, for sure!).
PS: If you love this, you’ll also love this chicken kofta recipe!
This shish tawook is so flavorful thanks to lemon, garlic and spices. Moist from soaking in marinade and yogurt (you won’t believe how tender and moist the yogurt makes the chicken!), they definitely are NOT a dull, boring, chicken breast. We had these twice in one week. I’m addicted, Ben loves them and so does E! Ben says he loves them more than the restaurant version — score! Serve them with rice, a green salad or on a pita with garlic sauce (link in recipe) and pickles. Or serve them atop the salad. Or serve them with hummus. Or just eat them straight off of the skewer. That’s what I do.
Used in this recipe:
I updated this recipe with a step-by-step video — hit PLAY and enjoy!
Shish Tawook (Lebanese Marinated Chicken Skewers)
Make this Lebanese favorite at home! Shish Tawook will soon be you go-to chicken recipe.
- 2 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes
- ½ cup fresh squeezed lemon juice (2 lemons)
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1/3 cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- Mix all ingredients together in a large zip-top bag. Rub and move around chicken to coat.
- Place in a glass baking dish or bowl (in case of leakage) and refrigerate and marinate for at least 4 hours.
- Meanwhile, if using wooden skewers, soak in water.
- Skewer the chicken onto skewers and place on a broiler pan. Broil on high for 15-18 minutes, turning once, or until chicken is browned and cooked through. (They would also be great on the grill!)
- Serve with rice and salad or on a pita with garlic sauce.
NOTE: Nutrition information is lower than actually stated since much of the marinade is discarded after using.
Yield: 4 servings, Serving Size: about 1/2 pound of chicken
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 481 Calories
- Total Fat: 26.3g
- Saturated Fat: 4.1g
- Cholesterol: 165.6mg
- Sodium: 705mg
- Carbohydrates: 4.8g
- Sugar: 2g
- Protein: 54g
adapted from Mama’s Lebanese KitchenAll images and text © .
Verdict: I LOVE this shish tawook recipe.
Husband’s take: He LOVES this recipe. Seriously. This one is a winner in our house.
Changes I would make: Eat more.
Difficulty: Pretty easy!