Crockpot Buffalo Chicken Sandwiches
This crockpot buffalo chicken is made in the crockpot and becomes so tender and flavorful as it cooks. It’s perfect on sandwiches or sliders!
The slow cooker is a magical thing, especially for those really crazy days. You know the ones, where you’re going to get home right at dinner time after being gone all day…and then somehow you have to find the energy to cook for your family?
It can seem so overwhelming and the crockpot is the perfect solution.
This crockpot buffalo chicken has all the flavors of wings that you love, but in a fun and delicious sandwich form.
About these Crockpot Buffalo Chicken Sandwiches:
This recipe is a great one, because you just dump everything in the slow cooker and let it cook all day.
Tip: Prep the night before! If you really wanted to speed things up in the morning, dice the onion and pepper and place them in the zip-top bag in the fridge. You can also prep the “sauce” of this recipe (tomato sauce, hot sauce, Worcestershire, mustard, brown sugar, garlic powder) and place that in a bowl in the fridge. In the morning, all that will be left to do is adding the chicken and everything else to the crockpot and starting it!
This recipe is a healthy way to eat buffalo wings, and you could eat it with or without a bun, or use a whole wheat or gluten-free bun, whatever works best for you personally!
If you wanted to leave out the sugar, you could also do that! Or try it with a bit of honey or maple syrup instead of brown sugar. If you choose the right hot sauce, it will also be paleo and Whole30 if you leave out the sugar (also, thicken with arrowroot instead of cornstarch, or don’t thicken it at all.
How to Store & Freeze this Buffalo Chicken:
This recipe freezes really well, and it makes a very large batch, so it’s perfect for freezing. After cooling, place in zip-top bags or another freezer-safe container, and freeze for 2-3 months.
If you opt to store leftovers in the fridge, store in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
How to make this recipe your own:
There are lots of ways to adapt this recipe to suit your taste. Try these:
- Don’t like chicken thighs? Use all breasts.
- Don’t like chicken breast? Use all thighs! Make sure to trim the fat so that the end product doesn’t get too greasy.
- Don’t like spice? Reduce the amount of hot sauce. This recipe is very mild as written, though, so you might love it!
- Can’t get enough spice? Add more! Or choose a spicier hot sauce, like a habanero hot sauce.
- Don’t like blue cheese? This recipe is great without it. You could also try drizzling ranch over the chicken on your sandwich.
- Try it on a lettuce wrap for a low carb option.
Can’t get enough slow cooker recipes?
Try these similar recipes:
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, fat trimmed off
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced small (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced small (about 1 cup)
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup hot-pepper sauce, such as Frank’s (or more to taste)
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Hamburger buns or slider buns
- Blue cheese or blue cheese dressing for garnishing
- Place chicken, onion, and red pepper into slow cooker.
- In a medium bowl, mix tomato sauce, hot-pepper sauce, Worcestershire, mustard, brown sugar, and garlic powder.
- Pour over chicken and stir well to combine. Cover and cook on high until chicken is very tender, 4 hours. Leave slow cooker on high.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker; place on platter or flat bowl; cool slightly.
- Remove ½ cup of the sauce; let cool.
- Shred chicken with two forks and return to slow cooker.
- When reserved sauce has cooled to room temperature, whisk in cornstarch until no lumps remain. Add to slow cooker and stir well. Cook on high for about 10 minutes or until mixture has thickened slightly. Taste, add salt and pepper, if needed.
- Serve with buns, additional hot pepper sauce, and crumbled blue cheese.
- If you prefer spicier buffalo chicken, increase the amount of hot pepper sauce, or serve extra sauce on the side.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 242 Total Fat: 8g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 120mg Sodium: 462mg Carbohydrates: 8g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 3g Protein: 33g