Slow cooker salsa chicken is easy to make and very versatile. Use it in burritos or enchiladas or serve over rice.
My husband affectionately (?) named this dish “Taco Slop.”
That’s kinda his thing.
White chicken chili? Slop.
16 bean soup? Slop.
Split pea soup? Green slop.
And this my friends, is taco slop.
Perhaps it is his military background. Perhaps it is because he’s a dude. I know it sounds like he probably isn’t a fan of these “slops,” but I swear to you…they are some of his favorite things.
Well, except the green slop. I think he could probably take or leave that.
This chicken…umm… taco slop, well, let’s call it “Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken” from now on. It is economical, insanely easy to make, and so versatile. Serve it wrapped in a tortilla to make a chicken burrito, on chips as nachos, or over (brown) rice. Or eat it just as it is.
I make this slow cooker salsa chicken often. I wouldn’t venture to call it “gourmet” or fancy, but it gets the job done, fills bellies and puts smiles on people’s faces. It is good food and easy to make.
Salsa chicken is easy to customize to your tastes: add beans, leave them out, add corn, leave it out, add more spice or tone it down a bit. Try adding a bunch of chopped spinach. You can’t really taste the spinach and I love to cram extra nutrients in wherever I can.
I was inspired by a recipe on This Woman Cooks, one of my favorite food blogging pals…who got the recipe from Chef Mommy (whose blog is new to me)….who got the recipe from Fake Ginger, another of my favorite food blogging pals!
It’s almost like that party game,”Telephone,” where you whisper something in one person’s ear and by the time it gets to the last person in the group, the message is something completely different. There are definitely some similarities to the original recipes remaining, but really, the recipe published here is practically an entirely different recipe.
Love your slow cooker?
You guys are going to love this recipe but if you’re looking for more slow cooker recipes, try these:
- Crockpot Spaghetti Sauce (make it with or without meat)
- Crockpot Pumpkin Soup (only 5 ingredients and you won’t believe how creamy it is!)
- Crockpot Beef Stew
- Slow Cooker Chicken Teriyaki
- 5 ingredient Slow Cooker Maple Dijon Ham
- Slow Cooker Marsala Beef Stew
- Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
- Slow Cooker Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 pound boneless skinless thighs
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup salsa
- 2 tablespoons [taco seasoning]
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- one 15 ounce can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- one 15.25 ounce can of corn, drained
- 4 cups loosely packed spinach, roughly chopped
- cheddar cheese, scallions, or cilantro for topping
- rice, tortillas, or chips for serving
- Put chicken, soup, salsa, red pepper, onion, and taco seasoning in slow cooker. Cook on low for 6 hours. Remove chicken, shred using two forks, and return to slow cooker.
- Stir in beans, corn, and spinach. Cover and continue to cook on low for 30-60 minutes or until heated through and spinach is wilted.
- Serve over rice or in tortillas, or as dip for chips. Garnish with cheese, scallions, or cilantro.
- You may use all dark or all white meat too, whatever you prefer, as long as it's boneless.
- Nutrition information is based on crockpot ingredients only, not garnishes or what you choose to serve it with.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.