This cozy and comforting Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup is made easily and quickly in your pressure cooker. It’s comfort food at its best!
I’ll be honest, I’m not typically a soup person. I’ve heard a lot of people say “I love soup!” but I just don’t feel that strongly towards soup. With that being said, I do occasionally crave a warm bowl of soup. If it’s particularly chilly outside, or if I’m feeling under the weather, soup starts to look just a little more appealing.
What I do love about soup is that typically it’s easy to make and really versatile. It’s warming, there are always leftovers, and it’s often healthy. This Italian Turkey Bean Soup is one of my go-to recipes because I often have all the ingredients on hand. It’s one of my favorite things to bring to new moms and dads, too.
And what’s better than the classic chicken noodle soup? Okay, French onion soup with a thick layer of cheese and bread might be better but it doesn’t have the same effect on the common cold that chicken noodle soup does.
Of course, I had to bust out my Instant Pot and try making it in there. I love how easy and hands-off the Instant Pot makes things, and I know you guys are going to love it too. (Be sure to check out all my Instant Pot recipes!)
Why you’re going to love This Soup
It’s made all in one pot but that’s nothing new with chicken noodle soup, right? This soup is ready to serve in less that hour and without much supervision at all. The vegetables become perfectly tender, the chicken stays moist and is easy to pull apart and shred. You can bring the soup back up to a boil right in the pressure cooker and the noodles cook in no time at all.
Make It Your Own
- Like dark meat better? I use chicken breasts in this recipe but you could definitely use boneless skinless chicken thighs if you prefer dark meat. A mix of both is great, too.
- Use different vegetables: If you like different vegetables in your soup, feel free to add them! I always feel that soup is sort of a “clean out the refrigerator” type of meal. Use the vegetables that are languishing in the bottom of the fridge.
- Make it gluten-free: You could easily use a gluten-free pasta in this soup. I wouldn’t recommend a chickpea pasta or other pasta that creates a lot of foam. If you want to use one of those, I recommend cooking them separately and draining them before adding them to the soup. Or make Instant Pot Chicken and Rice Soup, with healthy brown rice.
- Make it paleo: Replace the noodles with zoodles! Use a spiralizer to spiralize zucchini and create zucchini noodles. Stir them in right before eating – they’ll soften quickly in the hot liquid. Not only is this paleo, but it’s also another gluten-free option.
- Make it Whole30: Same as paleo! Try zucchini noodles. Omit the peas.
- Make it on the stove: Very similar method to the Instant Pot method. You’ll sauté the vegetables in oil, add the chicken, broth, water, and herbs and simmer the soup until chicken is cooked through. Remove bay leaf and rosemary stem and discard. Remove chicken to shred. Bring to a boil and add your pasta. Cook until tender, return chicken to soup along with peas and parsley.
More Homemade Soups
If you love soup, make sure to check out my Instant Pot Chili, with 101 variations! Okay, maybe not quite 101 variations but there are a lot.
If you want to take things to the next level, try serving chicken noodle soup with Dutch oven bread.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced carrots (2-3 carrots)
- 1 cup diced celery (about 3 stalks)
- 1/2 cup diced onion (about 1 small yellow onion)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 3 cups dry wide egg noodles
- 1/2 cup to 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- Heat 6-quart Instant Pot to "Sauté."
- Add oil, carrots, celery, onion, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until onions are translucent.
- Add broth, water, chicken, thyme, bay leaf, and rosemary. Secure lid and turn valve to "seal." Set Instant Pot on Manual for 11 minutes. Quick release pressure when done cooking. Remove chicken to a plate, and remove and discard bay leaf and rosemary sprig.
- Turn Instant Pot back to Sauté. When soup comes to a boil, add noodles and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until noodles are tender, or about 7-8 minutes (check the package for exact cooking time).
- Meanwhile, shred chicken with two forks and return to pot when shredded.
- When noodles have finished cooking, add peas and parsley and stir to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning for salt and pepper. You may also add more chicken broth or water if it’s thicker than you like it.
- This recipe would also work well with whole wheat pasta.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.