Fajita Stuffed Chicken
About fajita stuffed chicken
You’ll need bamboo or wooden skewers, cut in half and soaked in water for an hour. Get them soaking before you get started.
Turn the oven on and let’s get started. You can see the full recipe below.
Begin by sautéing the peppers and onions. While they’re cooking, pound the chicken until it’s uniformly one quarter inch thick. Sprinkle each piece with taco or fajita seasoning. The more you use, the spicier it will be.
Arrange the peppers and onions on each piece, sprinkle with cheddar cheese and roll them up. Secure with the skewers, then roll the chicken in salsa, and then coat each one with crushed tortilla chips.
Brown the chicken in the same skillet you used for the veggies, about 2 minutes per side. If the skillet you use is oven proof, you can just pop them in the oven. If it isn’t, place the chicken breasts in a greased baking dish.
Bake for twenty minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through. Remember to remove the skewers before serving!
What’s in fajita stuffed chicken?
- Green and red bell peppers
- Red onion
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Taco seasoning or fajita seasoning
- Cheddar cheese
- Tortilla chips
- bamboo/wooden skewers, cut in half and soaked in water for an hour
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons fajita seasoning
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup of your favorite salsa
- 1 cup tortilla chips, crushed
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In large oven safe skillet over medium high heat, saute onion and peppers in olive oil until tender.
- Meanwhile, pound chicken until it is about 1/4 inch thick. Sprinkle each chicken breast with fajita seasoning. The more you use, the spicier it will be.
- Arrange peppers and onions on the seasoned side of the chicken (you won't use them all). Sprinkle cheddar cheese on top of peppers.
- Roll up, starting with the narrow end, and secure with 1-2 skewer halves. Roll each chicken piece in salsa, and then coat in crushed tortilla chips.Brown briefly (1-2 minutes on each side) in the same skillet that you used for the peppers, over medium-high heat.
- Transfer to oven (if you don't have an ovenproof skillet, you can transfer to a baking dish) and bake for 20-25 minutes until chicken is cooked through. Remove skewers prior to serving!
- If desired, substitute taco seasoning for the fajita seasoning.
- Substitute Mexican blend cheese for the cheddar cheese.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 of 4
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 543Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 158mgSodium: 945mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 3gSugar: 6gProtein: 53g
RachelCooks.com sometimes provides nutritional information, but these figures should be considered estimates, as they are not calculated by a registered dietitian. Please consult a medical professional for any specific nutrition, diet, or allergy advice.