This bean sandwich with rosemary, apple, and parmesan is the perfect healthy meatless lunch! You’ll love the creamy beans with the fresh, crisp bite of the apple.
To give this sandwich tons of great protein, I use creamy white beans (great northern or cannellini both work great in this recipe). For texture, I mash about half of the beans and leave half the beans whole. I stir in some olive oil (both for consistency and for flavor), some lemon juice to brighten things up, and salt, pepper, and rosemary to season. Once you have that made, you are ready to prep your sandwich.
Spread beans on the bread and then layer apples, parmesan and fresh leaf lettuce. That’s it – you’re done in about five minutes! I thought this whole situation might be a little too far out of the box for my husband but he loved these sandwiches. I consider that a huge success!
This recipe, using one can of beans, makes 4 bean sandwiches. If you’re making these only for one person, I suggest making the bean mixture and refrigerating the leftovers. Plan on increase the number of apples to four (total for all sandwiches) – slice what you need for your sandwich and then eat the rest as a side with your lunch. This will prevent waste and will keep the leftover apple from turning brown. Plus at that point, your lunch is pretty much completed. Grab some veggies if you’re still hungry and you have a well-rounded, very satisfying meal!
more Vegetarian Lunch Ideas
- this black bean spread makes a great vegetarian sandwich
- egg salad (healthier version with Greek yogurt instead of mayo)
- wild rice patties
- quinoa and hummus wrap
- vegetarian wrap with provolone and red pepper hummus
- southwestern guacamole toast
- pita flatbread with asparagus and herbed cottage cheese
- southwestern cream cheese roll-ups
- red lentil soup
- barley, bulgar and vegetable casserole (vegan!)
- or check out my entire archive of salad recipes – lots are vegetarian and perfect for lunch!
- In a small bowl, mash 1 cup beans with olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and rosemary until mostly smooth. Stir in remaining beans.
- Spread bean mixture evenly on to four Flatout Foldits. Top with sliced apple, sliced Parmesan cheese, and leaf lettuce.
- Enjoy immediately.
- Any white bean would work: Great Northern, cannelini, baby lima, navy beans.
- I love the salty bite of the Parmesan cheese on this but it would be great with Gouda or Cheddar as well.
- Store leftover bean mixture in covered container in fridge.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.